Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changed timing chain, now oil is leaking

Timingrunningman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE
Commodore Ve 2009
Oil is leaking from around the air compressor bracket area. I think I've a done all the bolts up tight. Super weird. Oil only leaks when car is running!
Bottom right (passengers side) of engine.
Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 58560D48-FADE-4EEF-AEED-53D93128962C.jpeg
    58560D48-FADE-4EEF-AEED-53D93128962C.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 205
  • D9759F33-C845-4700-A77B-D6E19846AEC8.jpeg
    D9759F33-C845-4700-A77B-D6E19846AEC8.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 197

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Commodore Ve 2009
Oil is leaking from around the air compressor bracket area. I think I've a done all the bolts up tight. Super weird. Oil only leaks when car is running!
Bottom right (passengers side) of engine.
Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance
It seems like the timing cover isn’t sealed properly and you’ll probably have to take it back off to reseal it. Silicone RTV gasket sealant is your friend.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Source a -
Timing Cover Gasket Kit, approx. $60
Cam Cover Gasket Kit [aka: Rocker Cover Gasket Kit] approx. $60
As Above ^^^^ RTV for the Timing Cover
Since you need to pull it down again, replace ALL of the Seals and Gaskets, and that should fix your problem.
Tip: Remove the Water Pump BEFORE you remove the Timing Case, otherwise you will fill the sump with coolant [glycol/water].

Timingrunningman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE
Thanks J_D 2.0 for quick reply.
I used pematex super grey silicone for the front timing cover. I wonder if there is a way to fix it from the outside. Ill check again if there is a loose bolt around the air compressor bracket area. I don't think I ha e the psychological capacity to do it again - took 2 months to get to where I am today

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thanks J_D 2.0 for quick reply.
I used pematex super grey silicone for the front timing cover. I wonder if there is a way to fix it from the outside. Ill check again if there is a loose bolt around the air compressor bracket area. I don't think I ha e the psychological capacity to do it again - took 2 months to get to where I am today
Should be a lot quicker since you have done it before. Practice makes perfect. :)

Timingrunningman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE
Hi guys, so I found the problem, their were two bolt holes under the near the pulley brakcet which did not have bolts in them and were releasing oil.
So no more oil leaking now!
However there is a new problem, when i accelerate hard it does not want to go, and instead the rpm goes high and I can hear rattling sounds from the engine. :O

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Hi guys, so I found the problem, their were two bolt holes under the near the pulley brakcet which did not have bolts in them and were releasing oil.
So no more oil leaking now!
However there is a new problem, when i accelerate hard it does not want to go, and instead the rpm goes high and I can hear rattling sounds from the engine. :O

Oh dear. How confident are you that you got the timing right? Those symptoms could indicate valve timing is out of whack.