Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing engine oil etc... VE Commodore

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Wow, 195,000 km travelled. Obviously the car/engine has been 'well maintained'. Keep up with the regular maintenance - particularly the frequent oil and filter changes, Every 5,000 km won't do the engine any harm and it will simply 'love' you. :clapping:l

Gazzabilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE dusk fuel omega
Hi guys - please advise best oil for 2011 VE factory dual fuel - has 18500k on it - should I still use 5w -30 (am in Melbourne) or other grade also which brand?- cheers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you drive it lightly then 5-30 is probably ok. Use one of the full synthetics eg Penrite HPR, Edge or Synpower just check they are suitable for gas...
I use 5W40 Synpower.
Plenty of oil threads on here already, don't need to dig one up from 3 years ago :)

Gazzabilly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE dusk fuel omega
If you drive it lightly then 5-30 is probably ok. Use one of the full synthetics eg Penrite HPR, Edge or Synpower just check they are suitable for gas...
I use 5W40 Synpower.
Plenty of oil threads on here already, don't need to dig one up from 3 years ago :)
Ch
I use 5W40 Synpower.
oh didn't notice date haha - cheers actually meant 186000 ks too- got it all wrong - (damn us newbies)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hi guys - please advise best oil for 2011 VE factory dual fuel - has 18500k on it - should I still use 5w -30 (am in Melbourne) or other grade also which brand?- cheers
Our dual fuel is at 166k went with 5w40 over summer but back to 5w30 now.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I go 5w30 dexos1 approved full synthetic for the winter.
Summer, what ever is on special at the time I am going to service it between 5w30 10/30 10/40 dexos1 approved full synthetic :)

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
no such thing should be 6.5 litres oil
Imagine how embarrassing this must be for you to have bumped an old thread just to post incorrect information.

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
Hey guys,

My recently bought VE Commodore is due for a oil change soon and had a couple questions...

On the engine cover, it recommends 5-30 engine oil. My 2009 omega has done 195,000kms on it... will the 5-30 grade be too light for the amount of km's? I was thinking maybe using 10-40 castrol magnatec, semi synthetic.?

Also, does anyone know how many liters of oil these engines like to drink up?

I can't find any servicing guide threads or any workshop manual (i hear that there are no workshop manuals for VE commodores?), anyone know any good links with tips etc?

Finally, how do i reset the servicing period so the next due service on the dash computer is now 205,000kms?

Thank you all!
5w-30 will do just fine no need to change it, depends on which engine you’ve got in yours mine help 6.7 litres of oil, you reset the servicing by holding down the menu button I think it is (bottom left button on steering wheel) then turning on the ignition, it’ll come up to reset the service and you just hold in the ok button until it goes away