Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ChAnGiNg GeArS In AuTo

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
champs...just a quick one as to whether or not it is a good idea to change gears 1-->2-->3-->D WHILST driving in an auto?? taking off in 1st tends to give a slightly quiker take off but obviously starts to over-rev rather quickly, sooooooo is it bad to do that?? if so, how often can it b done without causing damage (if at all)?? thanx again guys

Just_Ice

Reaction score
Over a long period of time of course it would do damage. I would imagine it would also damage your engine more to because of the constant high revving.

Definately not recommended though to shift down through your gears to slow down.

R

rattattack1313

I usually take off on the white D...... and drive in that too...but if I am towing ,I will use the actual gears.(1st, 2nd,etc)..and I use them when I have to slow down in a hurry....nothing wrong with slipping from either D to 2nd, to pull you up quickly.... :thumbsup:

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
thanx for the feedback guys, will keep it in mind :D

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
I wouldn't generally. Althugh it is a technique taught to Coppers etc. Changing down is what they concerne themselves with and with that they match the speed e.g. brake then change down rather thanripping through. Hence there is a modified gate control onpolice pack autos. Changing up is all about timing the revs, but with more effort than a manual.it will change gears when it wants to/needs to so let it do it's job.

Selecting other gear for towing heavyloads or steep descents is a great idea. E.G. if yu are going down into the citylink tunnels or down the westgate, frop it into third and you willnicely coast at around 75-80kms an hour! Saves some brakes.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Changing gears in an Auto will always Be slower then just Leaving it in 3rd with Power on , its been porven for myself with over 60 1/4 passes, and plenty of mates with over 1000's passes between us !

I always Drive in 3rd under 80K's its the 1:1 ratio and the Strongest Gear as the 3-4 Shift is the Weakest Clutch packs.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

vy_pete05

Please rate my feedback
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VY Exec SII
thanx mate, certainly does help, im fitting CORVETTE SERVOS real soon to hopefully rid of those slow gear changes...i will let u know the improvements i experience :D

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
If ya want your auto to shift later take it to a reputable auto shop have a heavy duty shift kit fitted. On early commos this involves fitting an adjustable vacuum modulator and bigger valve bodies, they will tell u the trans will need a full rebuild, as it puts more pressure on the bands and associated components. As for shifting down to slow up, keep doing it you are keeping me employed as a mechanic!!!!

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Any downshift should always be accompanied by brakes first.

9C1pack

Reaction score
Does it harm the trans if you change back to third going down long hills, to prevent having to ride the brakes?