Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing light bulbs in VT/VX instrument cluster

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
no

Its like a flat base bulb, use a flat head screw driver to turn it anti clockwise a quarter a turn and ease it out

$6 or so form holden, or do yourself from jaycar for half that or go LED

Mitchell_Frost

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Aclaim S2 Wagon
to get to the globe in you gear select panel you need to remove the center console, theres 2 screws either side of your ciggy lighter, 1 screw either side next to the front seats and 2 bolts in the center console compartmet, then it should just lift out.

Once thats out its as easy as unscrewing the globe holder at the base of the gear stick and changing the globe.

This is just going off the top of my head so if i have missed any of the screws or steps people feel free to correct me.

Is there a specific bulb only that can be used? Or can I just use any LED bulb that fits?

zahrankhan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX
Hi I read your DIY and its pretty descriptive. One thing I wanted t know that what's the model or type of bulb. I want to buy the bulb before I open the fascia. I want to change the color of the bulbs to the red\orange.

pottsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Acclaim Wagon
They look great Bezzey.

Can anyone confirm that this 2pcs T3 T4 T5 NEO Wedge Spark Blue Dash LED Bulbs | eBay T5 LED light will fit the instrument lighting behind the a/c, fan control, temp control dials?

Also what are the pros/cons with switching to LED?

and I too what to know zahrankhan's question. I know the GM part number was listed in this thread, but what would I type in the search on eBay for a replacement? Is the T5 size correct?
Thanks for any responses.

An ebay search link would be useful. :)

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Pretty sure it's T3 for the A/C, fan and temp controls. I've got seven normal globes left over from when
I changed mine over to led's ages ago, so it must need about that amount.
Pros...last for ever, greater variety of colour and a more intense light. Much less heat given off.
Cons....Can be more expensive than incandescent lights. May not dim as much as incandescent globes. Can cause hot spots, especially if use on the speedo and tacho dials.
But this can be over come with shading.

pottsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Acclaim Wagon
:bang: Ok, so I've owned my 2000 Holden VT II wagon for 2 weeks now and haven't had a Holden before. I love it.

I've taken the dash off (very easy to do) to check it out and also because none of the lighting behind the fan/temperature/vent controls are working. I've identified the 7 half twist globes that connect to the circuit board have blown and I would like to replace these with and LED type. They are exactly like the picture shown in this thread by lorax (page 5)

134455d1328905626-changing-light-bulbs-vt-vx-instrument-cluster-bulb_side.jpg

I'm getting mixed messages about the globes and being told that "I'm pretty sure" or "I think" they're are either T3, T5 or T10 globes, and that is just for the actual globe, not the black plastic housing with the silver wings on it. :s

I would really really appreciate it if somebody with clear knowledge of these globes could tell me exactly;
a) What type of globe is this? eg. T3 etc
b) Where can I get some that include the housing (so I don't have to solder)
c) Could you PLEASE post a link to some LED type ones on eBay that I just just buy and put straight into the panel (so it's the complete globe and black plastic casing)

Thank you! :)

pottsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Acclaim Wagon
Thanks Husky. I'm happy to solder if it's not possible to get them with the housing. So do you know what size LED do I need to get to fit?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
you can't just replace the bulbs with leds as it shines differently and the cluster face has different levels of transparency

it's takes more placement of the leds to get it right , there are no hot spots or shadows in my cluster

i'm now inverting the LCD's

yes i'm a wizard

invert2.JPGinvert1.JPG22.jpg44.JPG

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
:bang: Ok, so I've owned my 2000 Holden VT II wagon for 2 weeks now and haven't had a Holden before. I love it.

I've taken the dash off (very easy to do) to check it out and also because none of the lighting behind the fan/temperature/vent controls are working. I've identified the 7 half twist globes that connect to the circuit board have blown and I would like to replace these with and LED type. They are exactly like the picture shown in this thread by lorax (page 5)

134455d1328905626-changing-light-bulbs-vt-vx-instrument-cluster-bulb_side.jpg

I'm getting mixed messages about the globes and being told that "I'm pretty sure" or "I think" they're are either T3, T5 or T10 globes, and that is just for the actual globe, not the black plastic housing with the silver wings on it. :s

I would really really appreciate it if somebody with clear knowledge of these globes could tell me exactly;
a) What type of globe is this? eg. T3 etc
b) Where can I get some that include the housing (so I don't have to solder)
c) Could you PLEASE post a link to some LED type ones on eBay that I just just buy and put straight into the panel (so it's the complete globe and black plastic casing)

Thank you! :)

They are T3 leds.
You can get them of ebay like I did.
And no...you don't have to worry about any of that b#ll s##t soldering.
They come with the housing already attached and ready to install.
Just plug and play
Here is a couple of eBay links......
t3 leds | eBay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4x-Blue-...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d148ddcb

Last edited: