Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing light bulbs in VT/VX instrument cluster

lorax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Aclaim Wagon
Cabin environment control cluster bulbs

The GM part number for the replacement bulb unit is GM-92142572. This is for the green bulb. You can also get a clear bulb.

From Jaycar an appropriate replacement bulb would be the Car Alarm Switch Replacement Globe BI Pin. You would have to desolder the blown bulb, remove it from the holder and then solder this one in.

Here are some pictures of the bulb unit required.
bulb_top.jpg
bulb_bottom.jpg
bulb_side.jpg

The 2 metal tabs come into contact with tracks on the printed circuit board when the bulb unit is twisted into position. I can't see these tabs on the "Neo Wedge" units you are looking at. Perhaps you can ask the seller. You can also ask what size the different units are (i.e T3/T4/T5). The base of the bulb holder required is approximately 10mm in diameter.

Here is another website that offers different coloured instrument LED kits: LED Bulbs suitable replacements for Dash/Instrument Lighting

Good luck.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Keep in mind this heater unit shown is only 1 of 3 standard heater units use in the VT/VX range so the globes sizes and shape do differ.

Talby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe Wagon
Guys,

I need to replace a dead globe behind the headlight switch in my VY. Does anyone have any idea or instructions how to get to the globes please? I am hoping that the light switch panel just twists off or similar.

Thanks in advance.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
The headlight switch in a VY is pushed into the dash and held in place with metal clips, u'll need 2 remove the cluster 4 better access 2 release these clips from behind so that dont get 2 bent out of shape. These globes r soldered in place so u would need 2 desolder them, find new globes 2 suit and solder them 2 their own globe leg stand or just go down the LED path which would b much easier and would last longer then the globe u would b puttin back in.

arbee

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore sedan
hey i know its an old thread but just wanted to say thanks made it easy for me

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
Hey guys, I've got a bit of a problem with changing the bulbs.

I got my bulbs off eBay - these are the ones which are replacements for the bulbs in the bulb holder and also supplied with 3 x LCD lights which are the holder with the lights soldered in to directly replace the LCD backlights.
I removed the cluster from my Mrs Executive VT and I replaced the bulbs while she removed the green off the

- Blinkers
- Road speed gauge
- Engine speed gauge
- Coolant temp gauge
- Fuel level gauge
- Centre LCD display

I used 2 blue lights for the blinkers because there wasn't enough pink ones for the ones I removed. Being a bit impatient to see results I only connected the cluster and light switch.

Turned key to accessories, turned lights on.
The only lights that lit up were the warning lights and nothing else.
Checked fuses; instrument illumination was blown (7.5)
Replaced said fuse, tried again.
Blew fuse again. Connected everything (hazard switch, mode/trip buttons, lights, cluster) and checked fuses relating to interior illumination - all ok.
Tried again, nothing & blew 7.5 fuse again. Checked all other fuses and found that there was only a 10amp fuse where there should be a 15 for the "stop lights" section in the fuse panel.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should try next and if the stop light fuse would make a difference being 5amp difference?

Matt 88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec SeriesII
Thanks Lorax, your step by step guide is fantastic. I am going to tackle this on the weekend.

I also have to change a rear seat belt and may try to create a similar guide for that.

Matt 88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec SeriesII
I changed over some bulbs yesterday and did the full set in the cabin environment control cluster including the aircon and demist buttons. I also had to change one in the instrument cluster behind the fuel gauge (I only bought one of these bulbs).

Put everything back together and found that one of the back lights behind the speedo was not working and holden had shut for the day. I will have to fix it next weekend. I'll put some photos up of the removal of the instrument panel. There are only 2 screws holding it in and one electrical connector to unplug and it comes straight out.

Bezzey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 99' Series II
I bought these today to replace the Holden wedge bulbs. There is a resistor and diode inside the bulb. I figured quick and easy replacement. Thoughts? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336277093.091826.jpg

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ubaud0

prockter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commondore Sedan 1998
Hey guys i brought blue leds from ebay then i put them in the cluster and now at night time the needles arent lighting up and so any suggestions?