Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Odometer

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
this is a maaaaajor thread dig.. :/ and not to mention, the questions already been answered in some pretty good detail really..

But from what i've gathered over the years, and piecing that in with info i've read on this exact thread, you CANNOT wind back Odometers legally. I've been told you can have them legally wound by a auto elec or something of the sort, however upon being told that, I was also told you need to supply the original cluster to show the KMs as proof or something of the sort, not sure of the truth in that though.

It's a bit of a fine line IMO but there is NO WAY you can legally wind back your own Odometer to my knowledge, not that i see any reason to do it (unless of course you've done a COMPLETE rebuild on your car and replaced EVERY single part.. in saying that i have heard Odometer readings aren't just for engine and other parts, but also for the chassis.. again not sure on truth) The fine line comes in when you break a cluster, obviously it has to be replaced (had one screw up to the point the car barely ran, needed replacing) as far as i'm aware though the correct way to replace a cluster, is to present both to a technician and have the new one wound back to the original, then fit, which at the end of the day seems the most logical.. might spend $100 but its gonna save a lot of hassle. Also I've gotten several receipts (trying to recall of vicroads is one of them with say an unreg vehicle permit) that have had my odometer reading written on them (definitely any rwc, having bushings etc fitted @ pedders, or most other work.) personally wouldn't wanna take my car in for some repairs with 150k on the clock then come back 6 months later with 50k.. dont think the mechanic would be too impressed..

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
personally wouldn't wanna take my car in for some repairs with 150k on the clock then come back 6 months later with 50k.. dont think the mechanic would be too impressed..
Exactly, in WA (Not sure on other states), the odometer is written down when changing a cars owner.. so when that gets entered into the system.. and the kms magically decrease from last entry.. yeah expect a big red flag to pop up!

Even if you were to tell the owner that the kms are incorrect.. in the end, how can they take your word on what the kms "really" are? The cars value immediately plummets due to the fact the kms are wrong, and the cars true traveled distance cannot be recalled unless searching the cars history and finding the reading recorded on vehicles changes/inspections.

Main "legitimate" reason for a cluster swap is for those looking to upgrade to a HSV/Calais clusters or if cluster has died. I deal with this situation on a regular basis, and to ensure no fowl play is occurring, the original cluster must be present to ensure the proper reading is taken.