Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing the engine oil

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
We went with 10w40 Nulon synthetic and thanks for the help.

SKDSLT

Reaction score
Members Ride
On the hunt!!
Never go with a thicker oil to stop one problem. It may be a "temporary fix", but eventually you will damage something else too, and the original problem will come back, probably even worse!

Mitch4731

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vycommodore executive
I posted Vavaline 30/50 ment 20/50 my vy done 260.00 still runs like new had car 7 years dec build Dual fule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The recommended oil for the V6 ecotec is a 20W-50 rated oil, unless the vehicle is constantly used in snowy areas, then a 15W-40 rated oil should be used. You can of course use an oil that exceeds these recommended specs, such as penrite 15W-60 etc.
I now use mobil 1 5W-50 full synthetic type oil in my ecotec, the engines got around 200,000 km on it now..I used to use penrite 15W-60 semi synthetic but I kept having trouble finding a supplier that had it in stock all the time, so I changed to mobil 1 instead, which was available pretty much everywhere...

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
Quick answer. Head down to your local car store and have a look in the book. There is a list of oils that are good and best for every car in Australian existence. Take some money out of your pocket and buy one of the oils listed in the "best" column.
Job sorted.
And for the oil filter I thought you could generally take it off by hand, or a leather belt can give you a bit leverage.
But that YouTube video (Dunno how to embed it properly using BBcode) showed me all I needed to know when It came to changing oil and other fluids.
Love Mighty Car Mods. Great YouTube show :)

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Update: 10.00pm 20/10/12
Theres not much room to get in to do anything, I bought a universal oil ratchet thingy thats stated fits most Holden models.
Yeah sure most execpt the VX so I inserted a small screw driver in the cap and it undid but was to tight to undo by hand.
Very difficult to undo by hand with limited hand room but it did up alright by hand and hey no leaks either.

With the Nulon 10/40 he's ever sounded so good and even growls harder now with the mega flow cat convertor, just returned from another 1600 klm trip and the oil is still clear.

Last edited: