Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing the Oil in me VX Commy

DarrenF

I'm an illiterate idiot.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
Holden recommend oil changes like that to prolong the life of the engine .

You're probably right. If I planned on my VN becoming a family heirloom (lol) I'd change the oil every 1000km :rofl2:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
25,000 km oil changes... it probably looks like this inside and the only thing keeping it running is the thin oil being able to get past all the blockage.
sludge2_zpsvikejyda.jpg

DarrenF

I'm an illiterate idiot.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
I couldn't tell you what she looks like inside. I've been fortunate enough to not have any issues that require opening her up. The first time I did a service after 30,000km I thought it'd feel different to drive afterwards. To my surprise I didn't notice a thing!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
There's more in oil than just the lubricants. Detergents for cleaning and additives to stablise viscosity among others, simply just isn't designed to last 30,000 km's.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Ur best bet would be to just clean up the filter as has been said and buy an oil filter wrench from super cheap or repco, they aren't very expensive or failing that some multi grips would also do the job
Get the tool for the job ?

DarrenF

I'm an illiterate idiot.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
There's more in oil than just the lubricants. Detergents for cleaning and additives to stablise viscosity among others, simply just isn't designed to last 30,000 km's.

My VN certainly doesn't seem to mind over the last 10 years :spot on:

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I couldn't tell you what she looks like inside. I've been fortunate enough to not have any issues that require opening her up. The first time I did a service after 30,000km I thought it'd feel different to drive afterwards. To my surprise I didn't notice a thing!

Either that bull, or the engine is too far gone, or youare kidding yurselft. I change my oil after 7,500km and there is an easily noticeable difference.

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
After 20,000km or more the filter will most likely be clogged with contaminants and be being bypassed... leaving all the crud in your engine.

Regular oil and filter changes are a lot more important than using a particular type of oil. The oil will also break down to become thinner, not thicker, when heated. This causes it to be unable to hold its film strength and will damage bearings and accelerate engine wear in general.

I would suggest that doing 30k changes has only worked this far if you tend to do mostly highway or ring road driving. Would also assume the engine is stock as a modified one would not be happy with those intervals.

Use some 15w-40 diesel oil in her and feel the difference as it cleans your engine out with it's higher level of detergent additives. Change that after 5000km and then use whatever oil you feel like with 10,000km changes.

Cheers - boingk

PS: Nothing wrong with always using diesel oil. I like the big 20L drums of Gulf Western 15W-40 Top Dog, use it in everything.

keithy111

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Holden Caprice 2006
Thanks to those non smart assess :) Had the chance yesterday to remove oil, and put new batch in. Not too hard at all. The Oil filter is on as tight as possible through arm stength, which I am unsure how long it will hold?
How tight u reckon should the sump bolt be?