Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap compressor for rare use

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Supercheap occasionally put theirs down to half price. But I think the sale is usually as a starter kit so includes a bunch of stuff you don't need . I haven't compared the quality to others but it claims a 180lpm FAD.

An extra 180 FAD would help a lot I reckon. I will keep an eye on the email catalogue. Yeah don't need all the bodgy cheap tools though.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Most compressors quote FAD as non load flow so anything above 1psi is load.
Industrial compressors quote the FAD at the neck before the reg.
Buy the cheap compressor but I think you'll still run into air supply issues.

If you can come accross a 7.5hp or 10hp second hand look into that you can get a 32amp single phase run to power a cheap phase converter. AVE on youtube has info on these I'll find the vid and post it.

Here it is.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also AVE has a video on super charging a compressor with a VFD and he explains the DIY style compressors and how they inflate the figures.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A petrol one would have been the go they seem to be around 10hp but they seem to be well over $2k. Awful lot for the occasional sandblasting job. I think if I plumb in the second unit I should have enough for small jobs. I used to do this with my last two smaller comps. I sold my twin piston 220 FAD for $200 with the understanding my it would run my gear. Should have kept it in hindsight.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A petrol one would have been the go they seem to be around 10hp but they seem to be well over $2k. Awful lot for the occasional sandblasting job. I think if I plumb in the second unit I should have enough for small jobs. I used to do this with my last two smaller comps. I sold my twin piston 220 FAD for $200 with the understanding my it would run my gear. Should have kept it in hindsight.

My dad has a petrol 18cfm I think its a 7hp and it's too loud. He uses it on sites but at home it's a real pain to use.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Look into a decent second hand belt driven compressor if you're chasing value for money. Direct drive are typically noisy and don't provide adequate FAD.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I watched the vid but I don't see how it can be connected to my motor to make it spin faster and drive the pump better.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Look into a decent second hand belt driven compressor if you're chasing value for money. Direct drive are typically noisy and don't provide adequate FAD.

Yeah been looking, should have kept my old twin piston belt drive. Haven't found anything near cheap enough. Noise won't bother me for the few times a year I need to run the two comps at the same time. My current comp is not even two years old and TBH even though it's a 3 piston belt drive, it's not a lot more FAD than my old two piston, that is only going by how the blaster won't stay at 90psi for anymore than say three mins, maybe four, then drops and holds around 50psi. But because the tank is 100L I have to wait a decent time for it to fill up to 122psi as that is the max I can tickle it up to before the valve blows off on the switch and the air blows out.
Might have to look at my sandblaster and try and get it using less air or bin it and buy a new one. I wonder if the only thing that would really run it would be a 3 phase 7+hp. The blaster might be too old as well. I wonder if the ball cocks are letting too much air through.

One thing that might help is a higher pressure switch, one that kicks in at say 110psi, before the pressure gets below 90psi and then takes ages to build right up.

Ideally I would get proper decent info on just how much air these tank blasters use and FAD needed to maintain the 90psi working pressure? But TTI have NFI and neither does Tool King unfortunatley......

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I watched the vid but I don't see how it can be connected to my motor to make it spin faster and drive the pump better.

It's only for three phase.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah been looking, should have kept my old twin piston belt drive. Haven't found anything near cheap enough. Noise won't bother me for the few times a year I need to run the two comps at the same time. My current comp is not even two years old and TBH even though it's a 3 piston belt drive, it's not a lot more FAD than my old two piston, that is only going by how the blaster won't stay at 90psi for anymore than say three mins, maybe four, then drops and holds around 50psi. But because the tank is 100L I have to wait a decent time for it to fill up to 122psi as that is the max I can tickle it up to before the valve blows off on the switch and the air blows out.
Might have to look at my sandblaster and try and get it using less air or bin it and buy a new one. I wonder if the only thing that would really run it would be a 3 phase 7+hp. The blaster might be too old as well. I wonder if the ball cocks are letting too much air through.

One thing that might help is a higher pressure switch, one that kicks in at say 110psi, before the pressure gets below 90psi and then takes ages to build right up.

Ideally I would get proper decent info on just how much air these tank blasters use and FAD needed to maintain the 90psi working pressure? But TTI have NFI and neither does Tool King unfortunatley......
Like I said find a decent 3 phase second hand unit. I'm sorry I thought you would've gathered that when I stated the HP. 7.5hp and up is 3 phase. Get a second hand one and run a VFD.