Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap compressor for rare use

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok I don't have three phase and won't be getting it at home just to sandblast two or three times a year. Last I looked into they charged an extra quarterly tariff if you want three phase as well as the normal two tariffs. Means a new meter as well. I'd be better off paying the small fee to have it done at a shop if I went to the expense, even a converter will be a fair chunk of money.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Like I said find a decent 3 phase second hand unit. I'm sorry I thought you would've gathered that when I stated the HP. 7.5hp and up is 3 phase. Get a second hand one and run a VFD.
SH three phase comps are bringing well over $1500. It would be nice but not economical for the little amount I need that size comp. My comp runs everything else I have easily and if I buy a couple of those new type air tools that don't even draw half of what my CP does, I'd have no issues ever.
If I have to I will live with it and get by. Like I said not worth the cost. Unless I was saving money or making money. lol

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Ok I don't have three phase and won't be getting it at home just to sandblast two or three times a year. Last I looked into they charged an extra quarterly tariff if you want three phase as well as the normal two tariffs. Means a new meter as well. I'd be better off paying the small fee to have it done at a shop if I went to the expense, even a converter will be a fair chunk of money.

Dude you're not listening. Watch the video. A VFD make a single phase into a three phase. All you need to do is run a single 2.5mm to a wall and run it through a 15amp socket with a 32amp breaker.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Oh yea and a second hand VFD like AVE states should be about $350aud

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Dude you're not listening. Watch the video. A VFD make a single phase into a three phase. All you need to do is run a single 2.5mm to a wall and run it through a 15amp socket with a 32amp breaker.
I see now, I didn't understand the vid unfortunately. OK I have heard of the single to three phase converters before. So your'e saying get a converter and buy a three phase comp, yeah?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I see now, I didn't understand the vid unfortunately. OK I have heard of the single to three phase converters before. So your'e saying get a converter and buy a three phase comp, yeah?
Yea. don't go out and buy one just keep an eye on the used market and pounce on a good one. Sell your current one after for 600 and you might get a 7.5hp for 1200 minus the 600 for your sale and you'll have a good setup for cheap.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I appreciate the help and ideas:). But like I've mentioned all this is going to add up and not be economical for a shed toy that will get min use.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I appreciate the help and ideas:). But like I've mentioned all this is going to add up and not be economical for a shed toy that will get min use.
Like I said I doubt the cheap $200 compressor will do much at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The only thing I have that needs massive amounts of air is the sandblaster. My current comp drives all my old type air tools with ease. TBH I think I will go with plan A get a cheap direct drive and plumb it in line with my current belt drive and just turn it on if I need to sandblast. It still probably won't be enough air but I might get 5-7mins at 90-120psi if I link the two.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Worth a try tbh