Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheap/Free Mods for VX Commodores

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
welll for $200 max you can get an $80 k&n filter, i got one for 110 but its alot bigger then the 80 dollar ones, saved me about 25% fuel i worked out and got rid of all those flat spots at low revs and definitly gives you a bit more kick. no sure on the exact power increase but.

No way.

The K&N didn't save you 25% in fuel economy. Your old filter must have been clogged so bad it was choking the engine.

Any improvement claimed must be due to other changes such as plug, leads, pumping up the tyres, better quality fuel, accurate fuel pump reading or bad maths in calculating the original fuel economy etc. The 25% improvement claim over the ADR fuel economy test, NO Way, or Holden would install K&N filters at the factory.

A brand new OEM filter would have done the same thing as the new K&N.

K&N filters are for racing not for street use. Its been discussed too many times on BITOG oil site. All the K&N does is allows extra dirt into the engine and requires the engine oil to be changed earlier.

On the VS or VX just drill a 3" (76mm) diameter hole in the lower air box behind the headlight area,
1. this will allow it to breathe better and its fully legal
2. will also improve throttle response ie quicker revving.
3. slightly quicker off the mark
4. you don't need the 2nd snorkel for cold air pickup for street driving(This is a ...ank factor only IMO).
5. you wont pickup water as some 2nd cold air intake snorkels can do
6. retains factory setup and factory look

It doesn't increase total power though.

Making this change removes any restriction there is across the air box / intake.

I recall on the other commodore website a member changed their Cold Intake setup as it affected the fuel economy due to the air being too cold and dense. In that case the member claimed it improved 2L/100 after the 2nd and 3rd cold air in takes were removed.

Last edited:

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
The airbox/filter isn't a restriction to begin with. Don't waste your time cutting holes in it, or buying some fancy pants filter that just covers the AFM in oil deposits.

I even have the factory paper GM air filter, stock exhaust and i've chopped many a V6 Commodore with a fully sick 2.5" catback and K&N filter. So there you go. You'll get better performance just by using a quality 95RON fuel, maintaining your engine/gearbox and removing excess weight from the vehicle.

As for free mods? Go to town with an angle grinder? lol.