Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cheap oil

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quite often they will use oil flush if the car is near new or has been flushed from new.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
just make sure when you change your oil do so when the engines nice and hot say after a drive and engines up to full operating temperature.
that way the oil is more liquid , drains more easily and takes all the impurities with it as it drains, cheers

Kaaiju

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6
Ok thanks all for the advice, what's the best oil to use?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
depends on your vehicle to what oil you need as a minimum. Either Penrite or Nulon are good brands. The shop's oil guide will give you the recommended viscosity and type for your vehicle.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Everybody has their own opinion as to what oil brand is 'best'.
Stick to the specification in the Holden Owner's Handbook, and change it regularly depending on your personal use.
This forum is full of recommendations (correctly) that the Holden servicing schedules are way too long.

Kaaiju

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6
Ok, I read that 7500kms is about optimal for change

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Ok, I read that 7500kms is about optimal for change

You can argue for a week about what is optimal for your vehicle use but changing the engine oil and filter at least every 7500 kms or 6 months whichever comes first is a sound approach for the kind of driving most people do. Some of us do it at lower KMS than that. In particular, and apart from the need for engine wear protection, frequent oil changes are necessary to avoid the damaging build up of oil sludge.

Your engine cover under the Holden warranty is subject to the correct lubricants being used in the engine as specified in your owners manual so follow that.

On your car it will be 5w-30 DEXOS 1 .

You will find your V6 will run well on Mobil 1 5w-30 Dexos 1 which is expensive unless on sale. But there are a few other GMH approved oils listed below which are readily available.
There are numerous 5w-30 oils on the market in different formulations for particular vehicle applications. Don't use the Penrite oil in the other post above which you queried. It's not the approved formulation for your VF V6 engine. (See the correct Penrite oil in the list below).

Look for the DEXOS 1 trade mark on the label of your 5w-30 oil , as you will find on those listed below, and you won't go wrong.(Don't use anything with the DEXOS 2 trade mark on the label as those oils are formulated for other vehicle/engine applications). Here is a short list and these are all fully synthetic oils.

Mobil 1 5w-30 DEXOS 1
http://www.mobil1.com.au/products/product_5w30.aspx

Penrite Enviro plus GF-5 5w-30 DEXOS 1

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/fuels/e85/enviro-gf-5-5w-30-full-syn

Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 DEXOS 1

https://synpower.com.au/products/synpower-dx1-5w-30/

Last edited:

Kaaiju

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6
Ok thank you for that Wealth of information, it make sense now

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
My trick with getting the old oil out is to have the engine as hot as possible (as mentioned above) and drain the oil out and leave for at least 10 mins to get as much out as possible and then I pour between 100-200mls of fresh oil on the filler and leave it another 10 mins before reinstalling the plug and refilling.