Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheapest Fuel seen

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
I knew someone would get it. I was thinking about 59.9 for regular unleaded in 1993. Remember it clearly. Probably my earliest memory of the price of fuel tbh.
My first memory was 1987 46.9 use to fill my XYGT with 36 gallon tank cost about $60 to fill and i still would drive the arse off it over the weekend and have no fuel for the week :driving: Oh to be young again with no responsibilities

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Cheapest I remember was mid-high 40s in the late 80s on the Gold Coast. Paying mid 80c p/l driving across the Nullabor in 89 was a real sock to the wallet.

I would have seen cheaper again before then but just don't remember coz pre car = no interest. That was dad's problem.

Just waiting for Calaber to qoute prices in shillings and pence.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I knew someone would get it. I was thinking about 59.9 for regular unleaded in 1993. Remember it clearly. Probably my earliest memory of the price of fuel tbh.

I still vividly remember driving down a local main road in the back seat of mum and dad's VP - mum going "Bloody hell, petrol is 62.? cents a litre, christ it's expensive".

I still giggle to myself today about it.

would have been early 90s I dare say.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!

LMAO! Been thinking similar, waiting for our old mate (meant in a good way) to post here.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
VS 5.0 said:

47220453-43DA-4CEC-B70B-19DEB3C82F70_zpsczelkjez.jpg

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can recall fuel at 15.7 cents per litre for super grade leaded in 1978. It used to cost less than $10 to fill the 16.5 gallon tank in my HT. As i wasn't driving in 1966 I cant quote the old currency cost you cheeky buggers. I started driving in 1970 so it would have been even cheaper but we still bought fuel by the gallon. I guess it would have been around 12 cents a litre. Fuel didnt go up much back then

You're all just jealous. Some things really WERE better in the old days

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I remember when i got my license in 1975 super was 13 cents a litre . 12 months later i bought a HQ Statesman and the price jumped to 27 cents and i thought **** i won't be able to afford to run this

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
I remember being shocked when it started costing more than $30 to fill my car, then mortified when it reached $40. I also recall the nationwide glee when the oil companies first tried to push prices over $1.00/litre, but couldn't because none of the bowsers could display more than 99.9c.

Yesterday I put 60 litres of 98 into the Stagea and paid $119 for the privilege. And I caught myself saying to the counter jockey how it's good to see the price of 98 is still quite low. How perceptions change when you've seen it approach $2.40/litre.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
It was orsome. I went into a petrol station once then put some fuel in paid for it then was able to drive to places then it got low and I had to repeat the process.

Driving is much better than walking or using a pogo stick for transportation purposes.

Can't remember how much I paid for the fuel on those occasions or how cheap it was but I just thought I'd share this lovely story

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
It was orsome. I went into a petrol station once then put some fuel in paid for it then was able to drive to places then it got low and I had to repeat the process.

Driving is much better than walking or using a pogo stick for transportation purposes.

Can't remember how much I paid for the fuel on those occasions or how cheap it was but I just thought I'd share this lovely story

Very lovely you should write children's books i think you missed you calling:spot on: