Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check engine warning Gremlin!

Big T

Reaction score
Hi There.
I am new here and after a bit of heads up if anyone can relate to the issue I have.
2008 VE Commodore 6Cyl, auto trans, Have had car a couple of years now.
12 months ago going up a long hill, started to loose power and check engine light came on with usual chime sound.
Pulled over and switched car off, scratched head! checked all oil levels, coolant level etc, (all good).
Started car and went on merry way with no problem and no check engine again.
3 months later same deal. Then all good for 6 months. Always on long hills. (sometimes at end of long hill and sometimes half way up. Always when I have done a scan the only fault that comes up are random misfire codes on all different cylinders never a specific bank or pattern. Did it again on Christmas day going to Sydney BUT on the way back (which has steeper and longer up hill runs) No problems.
Has got me beat! Any help would save my remaining brown hair from turning grey like the majority has.
Thanks.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
I get the check engine warning come up on the dash every now and then when starting the car, had it scanned and diagnosed as a misfire also. I don't seem to lose any power though.

It's been suggested by the mechanic that I change the spark plugs so I guess I'll start there.

Big T

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Plugs done not long ago.
The power loss seems car going into limp mode.

All5litres

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE Omega
All I can think of is a faulty coil or maybe a fuel starvation problem considering it only does it on long hills.

Sorry i can't be much help man. My mech reckons VE's are prone to odd electrical gremlins at times.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
If you've done the spark plugs then the next step is the leads. If the problem persists then look to coils. It seems to be only happening under load so those are the first three things to look at.

2008 VE Commodore don't have leads. :)

Big T

Reaction score
Thanks for replies to all.
It is a tricky problem.