Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Engine Warning in 2010 VE SV6

NxVx89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore ute
I've read similar threads with the same problem, but can't hurt to hear more opinions I spose. I have a 2010 VE SV6 Sportswagon with 94,000 k's. Recently the Check Engine light has been coming on and off. It will come on for one day then turn off for a couple. I took it to the local Holden dealer for a diagnostic. When I took it in it was during it's öff"day. They ran a scan and found an error P0008 or something like that. They weren't 100% sure what it was but suspected it might be the timing chain stretched. He said it was very uncommon that later model VE's had this problem and was a bit more baffled when I told him that it doesn't seem to be running any different. They said it would need further looking into to properly diagnose the problem. I've heard similar stories where people have almost sunk a few grand into replacing the timing chain and it turnout out to be a sensor problem.
Any advice?

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I believe p0008 is one of the timing chain codes, did the dealer check your software version to see if the "fix" had been applied. Check around a few dealers for different advise been chains are pretty exy to replace

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
There has been a number of threads on here about the timing chains, there does seem to be a software update that can clear the codes, but if the chain is stretching, the codes recur. You raise an interesting point about the sensors. I don't recall seeing anyone on here mention sensor problems were the cause, but if there is any chance that is the problem you would want to replace the sensors before you embark on a expensive timing chain replacement.