Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Enigine warning light.

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
What causes them to go? AGE. Where are they. Look just after the headers on your exhaust and you'll see wires going into a little thing that sticks out of the exhaust pipe. Those are your O2 sensors. Basically they just tell the vehicle how rich or lean the fuel is that's going into the engine. It's basically the replacement for the Chokes.

Thanks mate for the info.I'm wondering do you mean the headers in the engine bay, or the exhaust underneath the car??.Going on what your saying on what the there function is it could be the O2 sensors as I put the car on LPG only a month ago and I took it for its first gas service 1500ks and they played with the fuel mixture and adjusted it previous to that the warning did not come on.
Cheers

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
From memory you should be able to access them from the bonnet. But they are a fair way down (and only do it while exhaust is cold). If not, you have to access them from under the vehicle. I only say from memory because it's been almost 2 weeks since i looked at a VY :(

f_vos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Put 2 new Bosch sensors in and it drives like a new car + NO sign of the engine check warning.

Regards
Fred:wax:

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Put 2 new Bosch sensors in and it drives like a new car + NO sign of the engine check warning.

Is it hard to change them mate?? and were are they located exactly?.Thanks mate

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Tiger28, really easy to change, unclip from wiring harness, then just use a spanner to undo them. Reverse for fitting them. The ones in the VY's are a little harder to get to than say something like an 89 falcon, but still it's an easy job to do.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I've been told that you should sand the exhaust side where the o2 sensor contacts exhaust when changing them to ensure good earth.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The O2 sensors arn't earthed through the exhaust pipe... only ones that would be if they were would be the Supercharged engines and the V8's as they have the heated O2 Sensors. With a N/A vehicle they have 2 wires, both of which goto the PCM, one for the voltage and one for ground. Both units are grounded, but return to different points on the ECU, so that it can monitor the O2 sensors properly.

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Hi all.Took the car to my local Mechanic and he plugged his computer under my steering colum to see why the check engine was coming on.Told me nothing camed up no error or bad codes.He then had a look at the LPG system used some impco computer to and did some adjustments and fine tuning and said see how it goe's now.Told him about O2 sensors, and he said may be it because they play up sometimes ,but it doesnt see to be it as nothing camed up on his computer reading.I'll see how it goe's.

KB3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Wagon Dual Fuel HBD
O2 sensors do degrade over time, after all the working environment is harsh to say the least. It is also possible to inadvertently fool the sensor into giving a lean signal, which will not affect the running of the car but will trigger the fault warning and code. (Code 13 on some models, not sure about others) I have done this a few times with both my Commodore wagons when towing the race car. On a trailing throttle as you descend Mt Victoria or Mt Ousley, both long steep descents, the fault warning can illuminate but as soon as throttle is applied it will go out. Just for that period it was sensing a lean signal, but no overall harm done. Hope this helps....Regards Kev

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Had issues with my O2 sensors (4 wire) in my '99 S/C V6 and they said it was the earths on the block!