Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Powertrain alarm

Pointfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2006 Aclaim V6
2006 Commodore Acclaim v6 3.8L 175,000 KM Auto
If I floored it to get out in traffic I would get this alarm. Check Powertrain
If I was overtaking and got to 125-135km/h I would get alarm. Check Powertrain
I would pull over turn car off wait 10 seconds start car drive off all good. So I stopped getting up it and drove like grandpa. Had no issues for a while.
Until the alarm Check Powertrain alarm came up and will not go away now.

When the car would go into alarm.
The car would drive like it was a few cylinders down. The car would Vibrate a lot, so I would have to just touch accelerator to drive so the car would not vibrate as much.Until I got to a safe place to pull over.
I read a few posts check coils, leads and plugs for Powertrain alarm. I made an appointment with a mechanic.

I went to take the car to a mechanic so he could do a diagnostic test on it but, when I went to start the car, the car will not start now. The car turns over but doesn't fire up.
Any help will be most appreciated thank you.

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
Have you checked wether there’s a noticeable noise from the fuel pump when you open the spout?

Pointfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2006 Aclaim V6
Do you mean remove fuel cap and listen for a noticeable noise when the ignition is on. If so I cant hear any noise.

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
I would certainly start there...from memory when you turn the accessories on, the pump should briefly kick in, build pressure and switch off.

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
I had an ignition problem when I was throwing up a powertrain fault last year but would correct itself out of limp mode when the car was switched off and never had starting issues, this went on for a while till funds and time became available to fix. I can only assume this sounds like a fuel delivery issue...good luck.

Pointfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2006 Aclaim V6
Thanks Mick. I will look into the fuel pump and see if that is the problem.

Pointfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2006 Aclaim V6
Update
I just bought a tool to undo the connection where the fuel line goes into injector rail.
I removed the line and placed into a container and turned car to on position. No fuel came out does this mean the fuel pump is no good?
So while I have the air intake removed I checked the coils and plugs
As other guys with the check powertrain alarm had to replace their coils.
I removed the coils, they have the date of 2010 and 2014 on them and look good visually.
I checked the spark plugs cleaned and resistance checked them, all between 5600 and 5800 ohms.
The gaps 1.6-1.8mm so I gaped them to 1.1-1.2.
Would the fuel pump not work because I have the air intake off?
Can someone tell me the best way to test the fuel pump to know whether it is good or bad?

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
And the oxygen sensor??
That commonly throws up a Check Engine warning. A corresponding fault code would also be logged.
The engine makes its own adjustments as plugs wear. You only need to change the plugs when scheduled servicing/km states it.
A dodgy fuel pump will whine at idle.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Update
".....I removed the line and placed into a container and turned car to on position. No fuel came out does this mean the fuel pump is no good?"
Pretty much, as long as the fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuse are good.

Would the fuel pump not work because I have the air intake off?
Nope.
Can someone tell me the best way to test the fuel pump to know whether it is good or bad?

You just did. Like Mick06 svz said, looks like you got a fuel delivery problem. Chuck a fuel pump in it.