Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning the kettle

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Instead of cleaning kettles, just find a decent water supply.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Don't need the lemons, just plenty of white vinegar will do it (more than 1/2 a cup). Throw in any stained spoons while you're at it. Boil once before bed, let it stand overnight, boil again in the morning then rinse thoroughly. Removes coffee/tea stains, scale, etc.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So what is it caused from? I know they put chloride in the water is it that or something different? I have to clean it once a month. So the Carbon filter you speak of on your tap?

We basically have this in the kitchen for drinking water. https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livi...ViDUrCh17XQiOEAYYAyABEgLa0vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You don't need a bottle brush, just half boil it a couple of times and all the blackness will disappear.
Interesting point about the filter, but the body actually needs trace quantities of metals and stuff to function properly so who knows if it's doing you good or slowly killing you...

True but I'm sure water isn't the only source of the minerals and metals you need to survive. Chlorine is added to water to prevent nasties from growing in the water pipes and does nothing good for you and is the primary reason we have the filter for drinking water.

marty351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl gemini
Chlorine evaporates rapidly from the water. Let stand for a min or two and should be ok.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
We basically have this in the kitchen for drinking water. https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livi...ViDUrCh17XQiOEAYYAyABEgLa0vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

True but I'm sure water isn't the only source of the minerals and metals you need to survive. Chlorine is added to water to prevent nasties from growing in the water pipes and does nothing good for you and is the primary reason we have the filter for drinking water.
Thanks for that but my tap come out of the wall, I have a look and see what's available.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Chlorine evaporates rapidly from the water. Let stand for a min or two and should be ok.

Maybe, but when I want a glass of water I want it now, not in a few minutes. I don't mind a little chlorine smell when I'm in the pool but can't stand it when I poor a glass of water and it smells like a pool.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I like my lemons squeezed...

Fit a water filter on your drinking water source and you won't get any contamination to begin with and as a bonus the water doesn't taste foul when drinking it.

We have a high calcium level in water over here in the west and a filtre does nothing... Nothing! * waves fist at the tap *

We also have salt levels in excess of WHO standards in many places in the Perth metro area. Filters won’t fix that in Perth either :(

Kettle cleaning is imperative to a good cup of Extra Strong Yorkshire Tea.

I second OP’s post.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
If you ever get the chance, have a drink from the raw water sample tap at a water filtration plant. Tastes 10x better than after it's treated.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you ever get the chance, have a drink from the raw water sample tap at a water filtration plant. Tastes 10x better than after it's treated.
You wouldn't try this in Mathinna, water comes straight from the river and has unacceptable levels of ecoli, prior to treatment.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Jesus. Do you live in India or something? :D