Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning Throttle Body on VE SS

Stew70

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
G'day. I've notice a slight bump in the idle, so I've read some of the various threads on here about running rough etc, so have checked the following, spark plug leads all on good, have ran 95 and 98 fuel, not a lot of difference. So my next check is clean throttle body. I've done this on my previous cars during servicing with good results (carby cleaner and rag). Is there anything I need to look for or be careful of relating to the "drive by wire" system.

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
G'day. I've notice a slight bump in the idle, so I've read some of the various threads on here about running rough etc, so have checked the following, spark plug leads all on good, have ran 95 and 98 fuel, not a lot of difference. So my next check is clean throttle body. I've done this on my previous cars during servicing with good results (carby cleaner and rag). Is there anything I need to look for or be careful of relating to the "drive by wire" system.
Unbolt the throttle body and use some cabny cleaner (avoiding the plug for the harness) and wipe it down with a rag if needed. U can also get a can of manifold cleaner through Repco (it's made by three bond in a green and silver can) that you spray into the pcv system that cleans the manifold and cylinders while the car is running!

Stew70

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
No worries, I'll do it this arvo. Thanks for that.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
GM manual does warn not to use carby cleaner that contains MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) because of the fly by wire. But stupidly I didn't read that until after I'd done it. Didn't bother removing mine either, just did it in situ. Plus side (for me) is that it didn't seem to worry it at all. Probably worth cleaning your MAF as well while you're there.

Stew70

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
Ok. just finished. What I've done at this stage is clean butterfly and around inside the front of throttle body. a bit of carbon around there but not much. OOPS... my carby cleaner does contain MEK. Oh well the small job I've done shouldn't effect it. Air filter is a little crubby, will change that during next week. I'll run 98 fuel indefinitely see how it goes. I know 98 is recommended. What about injector cleaner? Is it worth using or just a waist of money.

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
Ok. just finished. What I've done at this stage is clean butterfly and around inside the front of throttle body. a bit of carbon around there but not much. OOPS... my carby cleaner does contain MEK. Oh well the small job I've done shouldn't effect it. Air filter is a little crubby, will change that during next week. I'll run 98 fuel indefinitely see how it goes. I know 98 is recommended. What about injector cleaner? Is it worth using or just a waist of money.
Nah I wouldn't bother with injector cleaner, just stick to bp 98 fuel and it will be fine. I would clean the MAF as Muke said and put a can of three bond manifold cleaner through it though.

Stew70

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
Alright, no probs, thanks guys for the advise. Stew.

SSVREDLINEUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV Redline ute 6.0 M6

Change the plugs to ngk copper ones. V power. $4.50 a plug. I was advised this by a Pir4te.. It makes a difference.

I've been through what you have posted, made the car have a crispier throttle but the slight idle, bump or miss what ever it is, is still there. :(

Monitor my other post, I'm waiting for the coils to come in before I update. And I test again with E85, I'm slowly coming to this conclusion. They all have a bump, rock to them. Idles never perfect. And they consume oil. Part of owning one.. But I'll know for sure once I try new coils, leads and I'm even thinking about changing to an oil catch can..

Last edited:

Stew70

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
Thanks for the info. I will monitor your posts. I've only had the car 5 months and this is my first injected V8 so its all new. If the bump or miss is a characteristic of these engines then I'm happy to accept it. The car goes like a rocket otherwise and I'm happy with the fuel consumption. Its just a matter of getting used to the car and what it does. Then I can make improvements or changes along the way.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Is this stuff okay to use Throttle Body and Carby Cleaner- Nulon Australia

As I cleaned my throttle body with it yesterday and now the idle keeps jumping up and down now. Does it take a few days for the computer to relearn the throttle body or IAC now it's been cleaned?