Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clicking noise from Centre of Dashboard

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Ive searched other threads and while this seems to be a common problem, I cant seem to find a definitive fix for the issue.

Ive got a Calais V and when I start the car up I get around 19 clicks coming from the top of the centre dash. So basically above the head unit and where the vents are. This only happnes on start up and every time without fail. The only exception to this is if I press the window demister button and also when I return it back to normal A/C.
The clicks occur regardless of A/C or fan being on or off.

From what I understand theres a plastic gear that has partially stripped and is slipping.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Also how do you take the dash apart to get to the centre of it. I imagine its a gear controlling the vent flow internally.

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
*Bump*

Can anyone atleast steer me in the right direction on how to take the top of the dash apart so I can see whats going on in there?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Have you tried doing a Flap reset ?
The procedure from memory is to turn ignition to on but don't start the engine, then press and hold the rear demister button for 5-10 seconds until you hear all the flaps moving up and down and all over the place. It may not be a stripped gear but rather a flap out of position and this may correct it. ( search it for a better explanation )

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Thanks,
I'll give that a go and report back :)
Cheers for the post.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
One of your vent door actuators has stripped gears internally. Most of the time its the drivers side upper actuator which is an absolute prick to change and Ive done a few.

You access it from underneath which is really comfortable.

Remove the plastic trim above the pedals by unscrewing the diagnostic plug then unclipping, remove the trim under the steering wheel by pulling towards you and unplug the headlight switch. Remove the vent ducting that runs across the front by removing the 2 screws. Now if you lay on your back and look up youll see the black motor with a white plastic arm coming off it. With your hand on it turn the ign on and youll feel it clicking if its the offending actuator. If it is the screws are a bastard to get in/out due to being in a confined area. Good luck.

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
ITS THE DIAMOND EARRINGS IN THE CONSOLE!!! Dont go to supercheap and buy all the accessories to take apart your whole dash!

.. i saw it on this ad once

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
+1 for actuator.. Had it happen on work car.. Change the air flow back and forth between head, head/feet, windscreen and see if it clicks again.

zac_sa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Brenno,
When I change from windscreen to head it still clicks.
Is this meant to be a fix or confirm the problem?

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
ITS THE DIAMOND EARRINGS IN THE CONSOLE!!! Dont go to supercheap and buy all the accessories to take apart your whole dash!

.. i saw it on this ad once

Yes but the ad clearly shows him buying a manual for his VE. Yet they refuse to sell me one. Maybe they don't like people with beards..... (and don't get me started about the ashtray - man I hate that ad)

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Brenno,
When I change from windscreen to head it still clicks.
Is this meant to be a fix or confirm the problem?

It's just to confirm its the actuator.. Holden can fix it pretty easy.. No idea how to DIY though.

Pretty sure it's a VY-VZ in the add..