Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clicking noise from my engine

dont_know??

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exec wagon
Gday

as you can tell by the name i have no idea about cars but its time to learn.
a friend of a friend seems to think i should be able to work out how to maintain my car so i am giving it a go...
even if i cant fix things myself i would like some ideas from anyone that really does know their way around a car so i can begin to identify when there are problems and know what needs to be done

at the moment when my clutch is released there is a loud clicking/ticking noise coming from the engine. when i place my foot on the clutch and just take the cushion from it but before i press further enough to begin actually using the cable (i think) it seems to go away and this makes me think it might not be as bad as it sounds and just be the clutch... does that make sense or am i an idiot?

i can change gears... its a bit messy atm but have been told that it seems that the gearbox is fine.
reverse seems fine (havent gone far) but forward just seems like i need a hill to roll down, there is not much power.

so....
what do YOU think? do you have any ideas from what i have said or maybe some questions for things i can check.
oh and i have a pit too so its easy enough to get in and under.
its a hydraulic clutch which i am told are better to fix???
cheers and thanks for reading:boxing:

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
is the ticking noise only heard when moving in gear or can you hear it when sitting there in neutral with the car not moving?

dont_know??

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn exec wagon
thanks for your time

neutral
i start the engine and it starts clicking but when i push the clutch pedal i stops

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
Ah yes thats in the gear box itself. Mine does this too. Not sure what part of the box does it but I would imagine is some thing to do with excessive gear lash? or preload is too little
Also mine does it only once every thing is hot.