Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 97 - Canister Purge Solenoid and/or Circuit

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I had this error code coming up on my VS a while back.I ended up replacing the purge control solenoid seq4x4 mentions, located at the rear drivers side of the engine, and its all fixed.I paid $120 for a genuine one from holden.The pic below shows the solenoid valve.

Attachments

• evapsystem22.jpg
    evapsystem22.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 14,122
Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It just clips to the bracket on the back of the head.Theres two vacuum hoses to remove and an electrical connector to unplug.Its not actually hard at all, just a little bit hard getting in there to it.It caused my car to misfire badly for a few seconds when it ws first started for the day,when the engine was cold,plus I had the code 97 showing up as well.
The gregorys says to test the solenoid valve by checking its resistance on a multimeter.It should read between 20 -30 ohms.It says to renew the solenoid if it reads below 20 ohms.My faulty one read around 28 ohms,but was still stuffed..

Last edited:

SWE11L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina/ KJ Verada/ 88 Trans Am
Cheers mate, I'm headed to the wreckers tomo so I'll try and get one from there as a short term replacement, spent enough on the beast for now!

Thanks for the help guys

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
No worries mate.Hope you get it sorted, let us know how you go with it.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I had this error code coming up on my VS a while back.I ended up replacing the purge control solenoid seq4x4 mentions, located at the rear drivers side of the engine, and its all fixed.I paid $120 for a genuine one from holden.The pic below shows the solenoid valve.

Got a part number please Brett