Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cold air intake

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Mine is very easy to do but is only a temporary measure until I cut the hole under the box, I got a piece of sheet metal and cut a vacuum hose sized hole in it and stuck it over the snorkel hole, then ran a vacuum hose down next to the radiator to the front bar where I got an funnel and chopped the skinny end off it and stuck it to the vacuum hose and cable tied it to the radiator support just behind the bar. It works ok because if you stick your hand over the end it's sucking hard.

You can see it at the bottom on the passenger side.

Last edited:
S

stockvl

Looks Very Professional, Hope You Didnt Pay For It Or Nobody Paid You For It RE DUMPD 6 SORRY EXCUSE FOR COLD AIR INDUCTION :w00t: :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Mine?? mine took 5 mins and cost me nothing.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
prizedbnx said:
anyone got other ideas for Good cold air intakes using the standard box and a k&n panel filter?

i made this yestarday easy and the engine runs cooler, cant feel any power gains but still runing stock filter till next week, runs so much smoother

i used:
under a meter of 90mm pvc downpiping (one end with a bellow on it)
2 45degree bends
and pipeing glue

how to. (sozzy no pics on the progress 4got 2 take some)

1.take the bottom half of the air box out,
2. place the 90mm pipe in the centre where u want it and trace round it with a texter
3. using a drill,drill many hole around the inside edge of the traced circle
4.brake off the centre piece
5. sand the edges till its smooth and the pipe fits in easy and tight
6.place box back in and screw bak down
7.mark the circle onto the metal
8. use a small drill bit and drill holes all the way around (on inside of the line)
9. remove box
10. use a bigger drill bit and goin all the holes
11.sand/file till smooth and 90mm pipe fits
12. get both 45degree bends and a piece of 90mm pipe bout 10cm and glue together to form a 90 degree bend (make sure its straight)
13. usen the bellowd end off the pipe, place it in to the box and throught the metal shelf
14. cut the pipe when the 90degree bend is evan with the bar
15.glue bend 2 down pipe
16. cut a intake pipe to the bar and glue to bend
17. use 2 zip ties and goin them togeter then tie the piping to the braket above the pipe

18. there was a braket in the way of mine so i removed it, didnt do much BUT if ur in NSW or VIC witht he RWC then i wouldnt recomed removn it coz proberly wont pass

Attachments

• intake.JPG
    intake.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
VL Berlina 5speed said:
i made this yestarday easy and the engine runs cooler, cant feel any power gains but still runing stock filter till next week, runs so much smoother

i used:
under a meter of 90mm pvc downpiping (one end with a bellow on it)
2 45degree bends
and pipeing glue

how to. (sozzy no pics on the progress 4got 2 take some)

1.take the bottom half of the air box out,
2. place the 90mm pipe in the centre where u want it and trace round it with a texter
3. using a drill,drill many hole around the inside edge of the traced circle
4.brake off the centre piece
5. sand the edges till its smooth and the pipe fits in easy and tight
6.place box back in and screw bak down
7.mark the circle onto the metal
8. use a small drill bit and drill holes all the way around (on inside of the line)
9. remove box
10. use a bigger drill bit and goin all the holes
11.sand/file till smooth and 90mm pipe fits
12. get both 45degree bends and a piece of 90mm pipe bout 10cm and glue together to form a 90 degree bend (make sure its straight)
13. usen the bellowd end off the pipe, place it in to the box and throught the metal shelf
14. cut the pipe when the 90degree bend is evan with the bar
15.glue bend 2 down pipe
16. cut a intake pipe to the bar and glue to bend
17. use 2 zip ties and goin them togeter then tie the piping to the braket above the pipe

18. there was a braket in the way of mine so i removed it, didnt do much BUT if ur in NSW or VIC witht he RWC then i wouldnt recomed removn it coz proberly wont pass

The standard aircleaner isn't really restrictive at all (unless its really dirty) Hi flow filters are mostly hand on c0ck, Take out the rear AFM mesh and you should see a (very)small gain, If you are brave take both mesh's out (My hi flow filter has mesh on it so I took both mine out). It gives a better induction noise too. Oh and don't forget to reset the ecu then take it for a good squirt after that.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
ucwepn said:
The standard aircleaner isn't really restrictive at all (unless its really dirty) Hi flow filters are mostly hand on c0ck, Take out the rear AFM mesh and you should see a (very)small gain, If you are brave take both mesh's out (My hi flow filter has mesh on it so I took both mine out). It gives a better induction noise too. Oh and don't forget to reset the ecu then take it for a good squirt after that.

i got a K&N filter panel now and i did that mesh thing b4, yah coase i reset the ecu (sorry if i 4got 2 mention it in the write up),

car runs smother and it runs 1 bar lower on the temp gage

A

albino1986

with all this extra air getting into the filter would u notice the change in fuel economy and if so wat difference in fuel economy would u be looking

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
albino1986 said:
with all this extra air getting into the filter would u notice the change in fuel economy and if so wat difference in fuel economy would u be looking

ment to be more economical but im not sure coz the odo dosnt work or the trip,

seventh path

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VL RB30 Berlina
VLACS said:
CHRIST A HOLE SAW. i just drilled many holes in a circle and filed it back for an hour.

yeah....it was one for metal.....rounded the edges, painted it and put a flezeble rubbed strip around it. Also put a piece of stainless there to help stop the hot air.....works well surprisingly!!

Attachments

• 554588_8.jpeg
    554588_8.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 178