Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore development

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
rofpml........
are you guys making some of this up....??
like...The VB was a combination of old parts left over from the hz/wb holden (mainly chev parts) and the opel. The VC was the first of the real cvommodores with all new design up front engine wise but still retained the rear opel based suspension.
and
lets all not forget the change from an australia designed 253CI V8 (VC, VH) to a japanese designed (nissan) RB30DE EFI 6 cylinder (VL) which produced more power and used less fuel.

c'mon tell me you are just joking...right?:rofl2:

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
253 = 100kw
RB30 = 114 kw

And i'd say the fuel comment is pretty bang on aswell.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
253 = 100kw
RB30 = 114 kw

And i'd say the fuel comment is pretty bang on aswell.

VH 253 was rated at 115kw according to my sales brochure

DUBHSTATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH statesman S1
well from what i have been researching the comments arent too far off. they are all really helping :) it didnt click that i was researching commodores, and that one of the best places to get info was here haha
does anybody know why holden chose the nissan motor and design to develop the vl model commodore? seems like they hadnt thought it through untill there was comsumer problems. because from what i can see, the RB30D / RB30DT was the first commodore to come under the new emmisions laws and was fitted with the catalactic converter, was this the case?
and whats te go with the "lexcen" ? how did toyota get their badges on a commodore?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
well from what i have been researching the comments arent too far off. they are all really helping :) it didnt click that i was researching commodores, and that one of the best places to get info was here haha
does anybody know why holden chose the nissan motor and design to develop the vl model commodore? seems like they hadnt thought it through untill there was comsumer problems. because from what i can see, the RB30D / RB30DT was the first commodore to come under the new emmisions laws and was fitted with the catalactic converter, was this the case?
and whats te go with the "lexcen" ? how did toyota get their badges on a commodore?

That's an easy one to answer. Unleaded fuel was replacing leaded during 1986 and Holden had to either re-engineer a very old and low powered engine (ie 202) to run on unleaded, or look for an alternative. Updating the 202 was uneconomical, so Holden searched far and wide for an engine of a certain physical size and capacity (it had to fit an existing body-shell, after all) and there was nothing modern enought in the GM range of engines that suited. The exchange rate between Aus and Japan was favourable at the time (1984-85) and the Nissan engine suited the purpose at the right price.

The Lexcen arose as the result of the "Button Plan", a Hawke Government initiative designed to reduce and rationalise the number of local manufacturers and models in the mid '80's. Holden and Toyota entered into an agreement under the name United Australian Manufacturers/ing (can't remember the exact name) and started sharing models. Toyota got the Commodore, slightly restyled, as the Lexcen, to sell as its range topping model. Holden got the Camry (Apollo) and Corolla (Nova) to sell as its mid and small models. After a few years, this arrangement fell through, because Holden had improved its financial position and was able to "go it alone" again.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
lets all not forget the change from an australia designed 253CI V8 (VC, VH) to a japanese designed (nissan) RB30DE EFI 6 cylinder (VL) which produced more power and used less fuel.

The 253 was already gone in the VK. I dunno why you think it was replaced by the RB30 in the VL. The 3.0L RB30 replaced the 3.3L six.

1TUFVS

High Ambitions, Low Funds
Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VS Acclaim
yeah, i skipped an engine :p so sue me

Will do!

But am I correct in saying that the RB30 was far less reliable than the Straight-6 "Grey" motor in the VK? I heard that the RB30 when fitted in the skyline recieved far less mechanical errors than when fitted in the VL..

And if you wanted a large monent in Commodore history discuss the VT. Record breaking sales for Holden since the HQ kingswood, the best selling Commodore to date. Another large moment is the VR Acclaim, which was the first Australian car to feature a driver's airbag, and the VS Acclaim which was the first Australian car to feature both passenger and dual airbags.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
And if you wanted a large monent in Commodore history discuss the VT.

and don't forget the series II with the all new alloy 5.7ltr V8 replacing the 30 year old design of the 5ltr