Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore Ute Drivers' Next Vehicle?

Kannaz83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Equipe
I don't have a commodore ute but I was thinking about what my next car would be. Wife has a honda Jazz which is cheap run around and decent power for a tiny atmo 4 banger and cheep to run, but kidlets are getting bigger and I'm cramped in it. My VE sedan suits us perfectly, but I loved the VX wagon for boot space. Now as the commodore is no more, and if I can't find a well kept example in the future when time comes to replace one of our cars (the jazz), I have always wanted a lowlux. I'd be happy with a 2WD dual cab slammed with bags.
But if I was to follow suit and go for a dualcab 4X4 I like the rangers and the new navara's, more so the navara. Friends got a new amorok and that I must say is a nice bit of kit too. 4X4 hilux has always been the one I wanted but as of late seems a bit done to the death and over rated. Navara FTW.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The Great Wall's ute cabin seemed to hold up well, the roof is not twisted and doors would all likley open.
So why it only got 2 stars needs to be researched to understand what if any design problems exist.

Really, a simplified star rating system that dumbs down test results is designed for dumbed down consumers.
Why not make the full report for each vehcile available at each dealer for the custiomer to read and understand the issues?
Guess seems society wants dumb citizens.

As for what ute to buy, sadly ANCAP 'stars' can't be used to compare a $22,000 2018 GW Ute against a similar priced, likley 10 years older, Totota Ute that may possibly have similar or worse ANCAP rating if tested in 2018.
ANCAP was purposely designed to not allow such comparisons.

I lost faith in ANCAP quite some time ago.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
The Great Wall's ute cabin seemed to hold up well, the roof is not twisted and doors would all likley open.
So why it only got 2 stars needs to be researched to understand what if any design problems exist.

Really, a simplified star rating system that dumbs down test results is designed for dumbed down consumers.
Why not make the full report for each vehcile available at each dealer for the custiomer to read and understand the issues?
Guess seems society wants dumb citizens.

As for what ute to buy, sadly ANCAP 'stars' can't be used to compare a $22,000 2018 GW Ute against a similar priced, likley 10 years older, Totota Ute that may possibly have similar or worse ANCAP rating if tested in 2018.
ANCAP was purposely designed to not allow such comparisons.

I lost faith in ANCAP quite some time ago.

There are reports available which, when read alongside the criteria for the rating clarify why it got the rating it did.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
I lost faith in ANCAP quite some time ago

Not to mention over 3 million vehicles with faulty airbags yet to be rectified. Get a Haval H9 Lux, $42K on the road and let us know how it goes.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
There are reports available which, when read alongside the criteria for the rating clarify why it got the rating it did.
Yes. i know reports exist and are available on the web but not at the dealer... there you only get a naf sticker...

Sadly ANCAP seems to have a fixation that 5 stars is the be all and end all to to their rating system. ANCA{ have structured their ratings in a way that DOES NOT allow direct comparison between differing years.

Thats why i lost faith in ANCAP (who's sole purpose almost seems to be to convince people to get on the tread mill and spending $$ buying a new car for the benefit of the economy).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not to mention over 3 million vehicles with faulty airbags yet to be rectified. Get a Haval H9 Lux, $42K on the road and let us know how it goes.
I just made an observation about what i saw in the posted crash test video and suggested one should do more research by reading the raw reports to understand why it got a 2 star rating, rather than outright dismissal of what seems to be a well priced $22k work vehicle that you first posted about and said how good it may be if it lasted the three year warranty o_O

And in case you didn't understand the jist, directed at anyone considering such a vehicle, it was more about ANCAP than the vehicle itself.

So if one has a limited budget, their choice may be 10 year old vehicle or a new GW Ute. Sadly there is now way to directly compare the two ANCAP crash results between a 10 year old test and the year test. The ANCAP star ratings are by design not comparable betweem years. The actual passenger and driver protection in a 10year old Toyota ute may be comparable to a GW ute but you need to research the two reports in detail which for most is unthinkable.

The odd phsycology displayed here is that if one wanted to spend $22k on an old Toyota Ute, many would say how great they are, yet to spend the same $$ on a GW Ute would incite ridicule. Ridicule as you are doing with your naf comment about me buying one and telling you how it works out. And that's after you raised it as a better proposition than the $80k Raptor in the first place (which itself is some odd cross shopping really).

The GW Ute may or may not be any good. It may or may not be as bad as the ANCAP ratings seem to indicate. Those who are considering one should do their safety research and not be sucked in by the flash electronic features or the poor ANCAP ratings.

Sadly ANCAP as an organisation seems hell bent on driver aids being the golden saviour to the many idiots behind the wheel. I've never has issues with making sure my passengers are buckeled up so i don't need such electronics. Yet if a vehicle has no seat belt reminders front and back you loose ANCAP points. And there are mutiple instances of such crap.

But where were all these safety organizations over the last 10 years when some were asking for mandatory reverse cameras. There was silence while multiple children were run over in their own driveways, year on year, for the last 10 years... Profits before safety in that area it seems... Yet ANCAP was getting more funding.

So yeah, bag GW/Haval without studying a crash report, bag people who question the integrety of ANCAP, be bigoted against any newcomer to the market, show blind loyalty to a particular manufacturer who take you for granted. Seen it all before. In 5, probably 10 years, many would be buying GW/Haval and telling everyone how great they are.

I've never understiood brand loyalty which i see as an odd behaviour really.

Oh, and as for airbag issues, GMH swore black and blue all their vehicles were OK yet they are now recalling how many vehicles???

Phawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SSV Redline
I had a Ranger XLT auto, that box was trash compared to the ZF in my FPV's, the rest of the truck was fairly decent.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
There are still GTSR Maloos around, and their prices are coming down.
They just aren't selling atm, so the prices will continue to drop.
Surprised to see HSV advertising during F1 broadcast. So they really are struggling to sell them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride