Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VE Calais sportswagon Auto - HELP

Neal Brown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sportwagon V8
Good afternoon all,

Please bear with me i am new to site and this is my fist post.

I have a 2010 Commodore VE Calais V8 and have a problem with the neutral safety switch.

I have searched google for days now finding lots of diiferent answers.

Could somebody please tell me exactly where the switch is and how to get to it and replace.

I am pretty good with electronics and ok with cars.

I know it is definatly the neutral safety switch (inhibitor switch) as if i gently pull down with the gear shift i can get it to start when it hits the exact right position.

Many many thanks in advance

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Have a look on the passenger side of the transmission, if it's not there it's probably part of the shifter.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Its on the side of the Passengers Side Transmission,
For a "inhibitor switch" to play up, its not a common fault, but I wont say never,
In saying that, Just mark the exact position when its located on the side of the Trany, or take photo's.
Then check the contacts with a Multimeter.
I have to ask, has the car been shunted ? [in Front or Back],
Because that can push the running gear out of alignment for this very fault.

BigMat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore S1 3.6 v6 Auto
Its on the side of the Passengers Side Transmission,
For a "inhibitor switch" to play up, its not a common fault, but I wont say never,
In saying that, Just mark the exact position when its located on the side of the Trany, or take photo's.
Then check the contacts with a Multimeter.
I have to ask, has the car been shunted ? [in Front or Back],
Because that can push the running gear out of alignment for this very fault.
I dropped the transmission cross member to try gain access to the Electronic plug into the upper part of the transmission, Which didn't work anyway and only dropped it about two inches until it just stopped dropping, I put this down to the driveshaft still in the car but potentially it could have been the shift lever rod going back toward the shifter holding it up. . I then put my scanner on the vehicle and then received the Error code P0850 - Park / Neutral Switch Input Circuit (Pending, Old, History). which I assume would be the same as a shunt or something I guess. Anyway I did the bolts up again and decided if new solenoids don't fix my other DTC ( P0787 - Shift/Timing Solenoid Low (Pending, Current) .
I will have to pull the whole transmission.