Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VN to VS ute fuel tank insides

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
So i built a long range tank from alloy ( approx 85lt ) , since the standard tank had a fuel smell i couldn't track down ( changed all fuel lines/breathers ETC ) , so i decided to cut the stock metal tank up and make it into a long range tank as well. Roughly 26cm longer , which equates to, again, roughly 28 litres. I took some photos of the insides, so you can see exactly what is in them, and what can "fail" .
Pics are in no specified order.
Tank rubber hose and joiner.jpg
What i found when slicing the tank was its got 2 breather pods, these are connected by a short rubber hose. This hose has disintegrated, So it was replaced with a new piece ( approx 4cm long, circled in pink) and the main length i joined with a piece approx 20cm long , and welded a support to the top side of the tank. Also found my fuel smell , the main breather/fuel return pipe had cracked its solder to the tank on the inside , i have put a support in to minimise the expansion/contraction that would have made the solder break in the first place and resoldered the pipe to the top of the tank. I also fixed both pipes externally as they were cracked and missing solder ( see attached pic ). Tonight i have just finished welding the extension pieces onto the tank. TIG welded one side and mig welded the other. I'll pressure test it and see which one has sealed the best. Im guessing i'll have the odd pin hole as it was stitch welded to minimise heat distortion.
fuel tank extension.jpg
alloy tank.jpg
Stock swirl pot.jpg
Ute tank crack.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What's the battery in the tank cavity used for?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Another question, what is the black thing inside the tank?? My VR ute tank only had the pump and sender assembly, inside when I pulled it out, nothing else inside

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That would be why my engine stutters for a few seconds when the tank is near empty when I'm pulling up.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
How so? the tank is bolted down and so is the battery. Ive had that battery in there for around 9 years now.
When Murphy shows up, some how you get a spark when there is petrol fumes & bang, no more ute, or at least a fire.
You know Murphy, something just about guaranteed to be ok, & Murphy shows up.
Shxt happens. I try to avoid it.
Sorry no lecture.