Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

compressors

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
A 3HP compressor is 2.237kW. A normal 10amp can handle 10amp at 230-240v, so 2.3-2.4kW. So depending on how crappy the compressor motor is, the GPO should (and I use this term lightly) be able to handle it. Obviously you would want nothing else running on this circuit.

I have two times only, used my 3HP compressor in the garage on a normal wall socket and never blown a fuse or tripped the safety. And my compressor is an 20 year old Ingersall Rand 14cfm compressor.

But I still wouldn't recommend doing this.

i had the electrician run the compressor its own 20a wall socket on a safety switch. didnt want to chance anything...

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
easy fix to the 15A problem is go buy yourself a 5 buck 3 meter extension cable rom your local asian shop. file the earth plug down on the comp and then use it normally.

if anything is gonna catch fire, itll be that 5 dollar lead and not your house...

[obviously never ever do this, its not like i would ever do this or have enver done this or have ever disposed of like 3 leads cos the cable inside them had gone so hard that the insulation had started flaking off]

Oh dear....

Fairly good reasoning mind u since cheap 10a cords are only 1mm conductors and a power circuit is typically 2.5mm.

But yes never ever:p

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
^ yeah kinda like a fusible link lol.