Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer and screen in VZ SS?

scottishgit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I'm looking to replace my standard head unit in the VZ SS with a computer and touch screen setup capable of running my IMATE PDA, Itunes, Navman sat nav, bluetooth phone, watch DVDs and tv, listen to the radio, and anything else that can be hooked up to it. Is this possible? Where do I start? Who should I contact in Melbourne area? (Computer ludite alert).

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Who ever you choose...dont select BMTronics!

Have a look mp3car.com and talk to the Australian guys on there.

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
It seems daunting, but it really isn't too hard...
mp3car.com is a good place to suss out some gear, but when it comes down to the actual computer, go to a local independent computer store to build the PC.
Cost of computer will vary on what it is you want to be able to do.
You stated that you wanted to watch DVD's watch TV, listen to radio, listen to music etc etc. Well an excellant program that can help with that is Windows Media Center, it comes free with Vista ultimate, or stand alone.
Ultimatly i think that WMC is the best software for controling you're entertainment..
As far as GPS and Bluetooth and internet is concerned, you can use plain old windows for that, bundled with a GPS reciever, bluetooth reciever and WiFi card or wireless internet card and other software - most of wich is free, you can have a great system..

Then comes the tricky bits..

1. finding a place to hide it all.
2. Working out how to supply power to it.
3. working out how to get sound from computer to you're speakers with best quality possable for you're budget.

Basically you're looking between $700 - $1300 depending on how much gadgets you want. (not including speakers, sub, apms etc)

I'm about to start my project on this very soon.

eBay US is you're friend, theres plenty of good carputers already put together, all you gotta do it wire them up..

Hope this helps, and sorry for my paragraphing and bad wording - i'm too tired.

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
dude, i bought all the stuff for a car computer, but i didn't get a chance to install it and then sold my car. so i've got the bits left over...
I have a 10.1 inch touch screen LCD that i'm selling on bargainboard (Bargain Board Main Page) but to someone from JC i'll sell it to ya for $200+however much it costs to post. it's basically new, and still has the protective wrapping on. I'll even throw in a 7m (i think, might be longer) D-Sub (blue computer video) cable and a 5m usb cable, assuming you want your pc in the boot.
I had set up a computer using a 300w 12v->240V inverter before, but it caused a flicker. I'd reccommend what they call an M4-ATX car-computer power supply if you're just throwing a normal computer in it. you can get those from vastute ($site_name - Mini-ITX solutions for home and business.) if you want to buy it from australia, could probably import it for cheaper but would take longer to arrive.

I'd reccommend shoving XP media centre on there - i have that on a media pc at home and it's so easy to use.

You dont need anything bigger than a 1ghz 512mg ram pc, could pick one up out of the paper for 2 or 3 hundred, just chuck media center on there and you're laughing. I'll pay attention so i can help if you reply in this thread.

Niggadore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Caprice V8. 1996 Proton satria.
Well, i've installed the box, threw out the head unit, and about to install a single din lilliput screen (i know, some lilliputs are ****). Now, i already have a sub and amp combo and an amp for the splits... now can i wire direct from the 5.1 output to the amps? or could this cause overheating on the soundcard?

Bout to go out to cash converters and get a small mono block for the center...

All i have to do now is order the mini ATX power supply (yeh i heard some bad things about inverters...

Cheers, Matt.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Just in case anyone is interested, this little carputer has recently been released:

Infill G4 Base Unit - Customisable - Build Your Car PC (incl accessories)

Not as cheap as building your own, but much easier to setup and use. Has rear camera, navigation, radio, hdd for music/movies, usb, displays speed while youre driving, has windows xp and you can also have the internet connected up. All options are available from the main screen.