Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Condensation / steam from exhaust

afriaus56

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Holden commodore 3lt omega wagon
Our 2010 ve omega wagon seems to blowing steam lately - sometimes it's quite bad and then other times there's nothing - also the engine check lights comes on and then goes off after you recycle the ignition - i 've had the engine light not going off and the exhaust blowing heaps of steam - i then disconnect the battery for 15 min and it's ok for a while - it's not overheating and it doesn't look like it's using water / coolant - gets serviced every 4-5 months , drives mostly in town and sometimes we go for a 40km drive on a sunday (country roads) -could it be moisture in the fuel / tank - has only 120k on it

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
when the cel comes on what is the code

afriaus56

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bought myself a OBD2/EOBD scanner recently - just need to get it set up and then i'll check for a code / codes - wife is out with the car at the moment - will let you know - thanks

bdedene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Balina V6 auto
Our 2010 ve omega wagon seems to blowing steam lately - sometimes it's quite bad and then other times there's nothing - also the engine check lights comes on and then goes off after you recycle the ignition - i 've had the engine light not going off and the exhaust blowing heaps of steam - i then disconnect the battery for 15 min and it's ok for a while - it's not overheating and it doesn't look like it's using water / coolant - gets serviced every 4-5 months , drives mostly in town and sometimes we go for a 40km drive on a sunday (country roads) -could it be moisture in the fuel / tank - has only 120k on it
Hydrogen and oxygen plus fire will make water . Also as the exhaust cool down you can have a negitice vacume effect . The air will be sucked into the mufflers . Sometimes a small hole can be seen at the bottom of the end panel to allow water to drip out . Pros an Cons on this practice . If its not losing water from the reserve tank or radiator. Then it is just normal . Your could also get a number nine cork . Just remember to take it out when restarting .

afriaus56

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bought myself a OBD2/EOBD scanner recently - just need to get it set up and then i'll check for a code / codes - wife is out with the car at the moment - will let you know - thanks
Now i don't know if it's just the "operator fault" but according to the tester there is no dtc's - will wait when it does it again and then recheck

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Colder weather you will have steam come out of the exhaust, totally normal. With your CEL, I'd say O2 sensors are a bit lazy, more noticeable when it's cold. Take it for a good run on the highway to get the exhaust nice and hot, that will evaporate any residual water in the exhaust.

FYI, steel is porous and will absorb water in high humidity, this will evaporate and come out as steam as well.