Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Considering buying a motorbike for work

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
I'm considering buying a motorbike to drive to and from work everyday. I do approx. 700km a week going to work and uni, and then more on the weekend, which is bloody expensive in a Commodore, especially for a student.

What can you tell me about buying / riding a bike? I was just thinking of getting a 250cc or even smaller, the power isn’t important to me, as I’d be using it in peak hr, and bikes are quick enough anyway.

Are they expensive to maintain? And would they stand up to 600km a week consistently? I'm seeing a lot of older bikes on eBay, about 20yrs old with only 50,000km. Is 25,000km a year too much for a bike?

I didn’t wanna spend too much, try and keep it under $2000 for the bike inc rego. Something like a Honda CBR250.

My final question is on insurance - what am i looking at? only 3rd party property (or is it a different system for bikes?)

What do you reckon guys? I’m just sick of paying $90 a week for petrol and paying to park everywhere…

Thanks heaps

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
Its a good optain that i'm looking at also. A 250cc will be able to handle the distance it also depends what licence you have to what size bike you can ride learners and P platers can only ride 250cc. On the insurence idea I would get the full comp just in case you may have a stack which I did (superman eat your heart out I flew for 20 meters). On my 1100cc I would get 500klm for around $15 that was some years ago but had around the same on my dirt bike also. Stay with honda they are a good bike very reliable and parts arnt to pricey. 25000 klms in a year maybe a bit high for a bike but the price of fuel has gone threw the roof since I had one,I would ride more to so have a look at some others.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
depending on how much comp insurance is i would consider it. but for a $1500 bike the insurance would have to be very cheap. for personal injury i would be covered by workcover, as i would only be using the bike to-from work.

my other thought is that i sell my precious Commodore. i love her to bits, but i really can't afford $90 - $100 a week in petrol, when i could be doing the same speed in a Lancer for only $40 a week.

But i really don't wanna sell my car, but on the other hand i would prefer a car to a bike, and i can't keep going the way i am now...

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
how about an lpg conversion, thatl cost ya around the 2 grand mark you were gona spend on the bike plus youll get it back with the government rebate and be spending the same if not less petrol than a 4 cyl

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
Hello Mr Slim,
In my opinion I think selling the commodore for a lesser version is best.Although I don't always know whats best,this would be the most reasonable option in this case.
Bikes are good in traffic but consider this,the amount of k's you'll be doing a year are more suited to a car or (cage) than a bike.Furthermore the road toll nationwide has exeeded 200 fatals this year alone,with 70% contributed to by U-turns performed by cars.The remainder being largely rider error.
Versions of bikes for L platers can go beyond 250cc,up to and including 600cc depending on power to weight.
Insurance can be high,depending on age and experience,but generally bikes are more expensive to insure due to the added risk.
Again,I'd go to a 4 cylinder cage of your choice rather than take on the high k's and heavy traffic you describe as a regular yearly occurrence.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
how about an lpg conversion, thatl cost ya around the 2 grand mark you were gona spend on the bike plus youll get it back with the government rebate and be spending the same if not less petrol than a 4 cyl

hmmm now theres a good idea. previously i never considered LPG because i wasn't driving enough. Could add value to the car too couldn't it?

there is a slight drop off in power. hopefully not that bad though.

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
there is a slight drop off in power. hopefully not that bad though.

seriously, i wouldnt drive my car asmuch as i do if i didnt have lpg, and as for performance loss? you cant even tell in everyday driving, exspecially if your going to be in traffic:D... in all seriousness go the lpg conversion and if you feel like racing someone or having fun etc etc just flick it back over to petrol:D..... PEERFECT!:D

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
i just bought i bike to ride to work so my SV can sleep all day. and its the best investment i have ever done.

i bought a honda ct110 other wise known as a postie. get roughly 200k's to a 3 dollar tank. cost nothing to run($98 for a years rego) has a top speed of a bee's dick past 100. not up hill though

2 of my mates bought cbr250rr's and they are a nice bike but expensive too maintain. for what your after

the most expensive part is getting your lience your looking at about $350 just to get on your p's(including l's)

another option is buy a 3 cylinder charade or swift. they go for under $2000

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
i just bought i bike to ride to work so my SV can sleep all day. and its the best investment i have ever done.

i bought a honda ct110 other wise known as a postie. get roughly 200k's to a 3 dollar tank. cost nothing to run($98 for a years rego) has a top speed of a bee's dick past 100. not up hill though

2 of my mates bought cbr250rr's and they are a nice bike but expensive too maintain. for what your after

the most expensive part is getting your lience your looking at about $350 just to get on your p's(including l's)

another option is buy a 3 cylinder charade or swift. they go for under $2000

the postie bike i have definately considered. i wasn't sure if it even reached 100, but if it does thats enough for me (for the few seconds i actually reach 100 on the freeway in peak hour)

my only problem with buying a bike is to be quite honest i'm scared. so many people don't even check their blindspot for cars, let alone bikes. so yeah i'm scared of something going wrong, and it all being over

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
DO IT! I would in your situation. If you're scared of other people in cars, then this mantra may help "ride as if you're invisible to every other road user", coz trust me, you are. and don't be afraid to shell out on leathers even on a postie bike. dun matter how fast you slide on your bum, gravel rash still hurts.
oh, and the price of LPG is set to equal ULP by christmas, so it may not be viable after all