Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Conversion Sump for L76

18htan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wreaked VE SS Ute
I picked up a 2010 VE from the Auctions

18985396_1303846999723212_1965705484_n.png

18983133_1303847003056545_1947765546_n.png

I want to use the L76 and 6l80e and any other bits I can in my 63 Belair.

I know I need a rear sump to clear the cross member of the Belair and that there are plenty available.

My issue, a mate told me that the L76 with the AFM runs a different sump setup and pump due to the AFM.

Can anyone shed some light on this and what sump would work?

Excuse my lack of knowledge, I grew up playing with boats and this is my first go at a car.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Wow, great fun. Can spend way too much on pan, harness, front engine accessory drive from what I see.
Yours is the x-frame, and I'm almost certain* you can run with the sump you've got, which is easy and ideal. See the usual answer is Hummer 5.3 (LH8) pan, Chev part 19212593. Problem is thats 5.x quarts and L76 AFM likes 8.x quarts (I run 11.x quarts with an external oil accumulator).
*See the note for x-frame in the Pace Performance description in the link above.
Apart from almost twice the sump, the difference with AFM / VVT is oil pressure relief valve and deflector. The VE engine being 2010 will have 50 psi relief valve on the donor sump, but possibly not the deflector which was Series II (L77). No biggie if you ask me coz the rationale was fix for oil splash excess consumption onto pistons from the relief in the trucks. Costs like $20 up to you while swapping pans.
Full swap kit here seems good value using the 6l80.
Your only dilemma with converting to a metric shittonne more power is what to do about the X frame, given options available now to make it literally outhandle most modern cars, or have it flex on top of natural metal fatigue. Of course you'll have it engineered for stop and steer but sharing up the X frame may affect sump.
I swapped a twin cam Isuzu and five speed into a 1961 Triimph Spitfire, same sort of frame with same sort of relative power jump. Also cut sump and reversed it and pickup to suit new crossover.
Also if it were me I'd budget for tunnel ram efi intake and pod, AFM cam, VVT timing case, Davies Craig remote water pump and fans. ;)

18htan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wreaked VE SS Ute
Yes... it will be fun indeed and quite the learning curve. As I mentioned, I grew up playing with 100 year old wooden boats (and still do), so 54 year old cars with new tech is going to be a lot to get my head around.

I am running those mounts that you linked too and they are nice bit of kit.

The general feedback on the VE sump, some fit and some don't. Goes to show that the cross member is not the same for all these X-Frame cars. Another option is notch the cross member, but that is a no no according to my engineer. I plan on pulling the L76 out this weekend and will have a look how close it is.

I am not too concerned with the power, as they did come with the 409. Plus its being built as cruiser. But will be worth looking into once I get it on the road.

Now, I am still a little confused about the sump. SO the one you linked to can be used with no issues?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes... it will be fun indeed and quite the learning curve. As I mentioned, I grew up playing with 100 year old wooden boats (and still do), so 54 year old cars with new tech is going to be a lot to get my head around.

I am running those mounts that you linked too and they are nice bit of kit.

The general feedback on the VE sump, some fit and some don't. Goes to show that the cross member is not the same for all these X-Frame cars. Another option is notch the cross member, but that is a no no according to my engineer. I plan on pulling the L76 out this weekend and will have a look how close it is.

I am not too concerned with the power, as they did come with the 409. Plus its being built as cruiser. But will be worth looking into once I get it on the road.

Now, I am still a little confused about the sump. SO the one you linked to can be used with no issues?
Yours is a 63 X frame, sure can use the usual LH8 modded with (not critical but best to retain the) pressure relief valve off the L76 for the hydraulics. As I suggested above (but gave wrong link) you should go with Pace Performance advice (totally wrong link I posted above so sorry) here it is. See in the description it says specifically to use this. Which happens to be the same if not very bloody similar to the GenIV 6.0 L76 pan!
This way is smarter, simpler, better, cheaper, comes recommended without pfaffing around reinventing Frankenstein's monster.

18htan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wreaked VE SS Ute
Thanks again Moster. It does look bloody similar to the VE sump.

Will measure it on the weekend.

18htan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wreaked VE SS Ute
A mate just told me the L76's didn't have the AFM activated. How can I be sure?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
A mate just told me the L76's didn't have the AFM activated. How can I be sure?
Playing my own Hurdy Gurdy here... old mate pir4te and me be like Flint and Silver claimed this territory under The Black for many years. Hoist up "AFM" "pir4te" "monstar" "thanks" in the Google box...
2010 model SS did have AFM working, Holden made that feature active in of the tune in the US export launch version in 2008 and domestically at the beginning of 2009. The new engine was developed with AFM in mind specifically for the VE despite being first implemented with the end of the previous model run in the year leading up to the launch, with AFM largely a secret and disabled.
It was the first mass produced passenger car with that flavour of programmed cylinder deactivation, however problems started to become evident in the (US) 2008 cars with it activated, cause being bad Eaton lifters. Fix was to replace with Delphi revised design and engines were fitted with Delphi as a priority during the US 2009 run (2009.5) and here with the 2010 model run. The other significant revision was to the oil manifold with new timing of control solenoids under the intake in the valley sometime in 2010, standard on Series II.
Easy way to tell if above AFM revisions is inspect whether the original engine has a gold (LS3) throttle butterfly vs silver (LS2 throttle body) before the revision.
In any case with the engine on a stand I would swap in latest set of Delphi II lifters with better cam and VVT timing cover as mentioned.