Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converted Camaro not as good as VF2

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I was in Queenstown a couple years back (granted, it's a backpackers/tourist Mecca, so not representative of the country as a whole), but I was flabbergasted at the absolute sh1theaps that populated the roads. My father is a kiwi native and he tells me they exist all over the country (in varying amounts).

I'm all for quirky cars etc, but you're right, they need to make sure they are safe. Some of the things I saw were less roadworthy than my wheelie bin.
Grey imports made that situation about a trillionty times better than it was … the average car in New Zealand circa 1995 was a 1970 Hillman Minx.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Grey imports made that situation about a trillionty times better than it was … the average car in New Zealand circa 1995 was a 1970 Hillman Minx.

But here it is in 2019 and they still have these deathtraps running around. I wonder if they realise that the Japs have to basically rebuild their cars at 60k kms for an intrusive safety check..hence the reason why most of them don't bother servicing or maintaining their cars up until that point, and they simply offload them to unsuspecting offshore buyers?..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There aren't many of those jap cars running around any more, as you say, they fall apart long before then. You still see the odd one but most of those now seem to have been maintained, one guy at work has late 80's Honda of some sort but it cleaner and tidier than the missus 2002 Calais...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
But here it is in 2019 and they still have these deathtraps running around. I wonder if they realise that the Japs have to basically rebuild their cars at 60k kms for an intrusive safety check.
Shaken is an intrusive everything check, it's basically a Blue Slip. Maintained properly, a car will pass without problems; it's largely the culture of buying a new one (an approach that started gaining legs after WWII to encourage a market for manufacturers) that makes people offload their cars once they get to that point. Getting a car for 40% of the price because it might need tyres & a cam-belt isn't necessarily a bad deal ...

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Proud owner of a "death trap JDM" lol

No safety nannies (airbags, ABS, traction control) just good old seatbelts lol

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ R33’s don’t all have airbags & ABS? Really? Or did you disable them stuffs?

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
^ R33’s don’t all have airbags & ABS? Really? Or did you disable them stuffs?

Early series 1 (93) had nothing, series 1.5 (95ish) had driver side only and I believe ABS and series 2 (97ish) 2 airbags and ABS.

Mine was one of the first batch of R33s.

As they say "No airbags onboard, we die like real men" lol

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Proud owner of a "death trap JDM" lol

Pretty sure I was referring to the ones running around in NZ. not Perth..

Getting a car for 40% of the price because it might need tyres & a cam-belt isn't necessarily a bad deal ...

and a lack of servicing up until that point.