Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converted Camaro not as good as VF2

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Reviews of the converted Camaro SS auto are starting to come in.
Few comparisons to VF2 so hopefully that will keep this thread here..

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews...Q9wnX4kLYV0ajMP6CQ7v6PK4oMEZNw17KItOwnhNJJRZA

No doubt its a good car, but its getting mixed reviews, and its definitely not worth the money HSV are asking, especially when you consider in a couple of years when the next gen Camaro comes out in RHD it will tank.

"Don’t expect the all-round dynamic polish delivered by the final run of VF Holdens: both the cars that came via Clayton, and the ones that didn’t. We always knew what we had was pretty special, and Camaro is taciturn proof. Maybe we need to accept that to move forward, sometimes you have to take a half-step back."

Anyone actually considering getting a converted Camaro SS auto?

For me, I'd love the Camaro SS 1LE in manual, but I'll wait until I can get it from factory in RHD, hopefully at a reasonable price.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Reviews of the converted Camaro SS auto are starting to come in.
Few comparisons to VF2 so hopefully that will keep this thread here..

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews...Q9wnX4kLYV0ajMP6CQ7v6PK4oMEZNw17KItOwnhNJJRZA

No doubt its a good car, but its getting mixed reviews, and its definitely not worth the money HSV are asking, especially when you consider in a couple of years when the next gen Camaro comes out in RHD it will tank.

"Don’t expect the all-round dynamic polish delivered by the final run of VF Holdens: both the cars that came via Clayton, and the ones that didn’t. We always knew what we had was pretty special, and Camaro is taciturn proof. Maybe we need to accept that to move forward, sometimes you have to take a half-step back."

Anyone actually considering getting a converted Camaro SS auto?

For me, I'd love the Camaro SS 1LE, but I'll wait until I can get it from factory in RHD at a reasonable price.

Nope won't be paying silly money for one. Others may. Each to their own. Wait for RHD.

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
didnt even know that the next gen would be coming out RHD from the factory....

Might look at replacing the ute when that happens

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
didnt even know that the next gen would be coming out RHD from the factory....

Nothing confirmed yet given its a few years away, but GM are #(&$@&^$#& if they don't start making RHD sports cars. Given recent communications from GM that the whole portfolio will become available to Australia, it's inevitable I think that eventually we'll get access to RHD cars including Cadillac. CTS-V is another great car I'd look at.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A new RHD 2 door V8 sports coupe ? No thanks, already got an old one to fit that.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Nothing confirmed yet given its a few years away, but GM are #(&$@&^$#& if they don't start making RHD sports cars. Given recent communications from GM that the whole portfolio will become available to Australia, it's inevitable I think that eventually we'll get access to RHD cars including Cadillac. CTS-V is another great car I'd look at.
Problem is the RHD market is really small, and they’re all about Volume Volume Volume.
It’s really just us, the UK & South Africa; even if Japan buys a few, they’re happy to buy as many in LHD. So it’s really whether or not they deem the UK a market worth chasing, and it’s going to be hard to sell bottom-end quality in a 6+ litre engine’d to someone who pays so much for their fuel.
I’m hoping they’ll do it; but I wouldn’t be super-duper surprised if they didn’t.

Plus ... my initial interest in them has soured a bit, now I know it’s only really the automatic powertrain that eclipses anything about VF2.
Is the next model a full new model, or a facelift?

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
Problem is the RHD market is really small, and they’re all about Volume Volume Volume.
It’s really just us, the UK & South Africa; even if Japan buys a few, they’re happy to buy as many in LHD. So it’s really whether or not they deem the UK a market worth chasing, and it’s going to be hard to sell bottom-end quality in a 6+ litre engine’d to someone who pays so much for their fuel.
I’m hoping they’ll do it; but I wouldn’t be super-duper surprised if they didn’t.

Plus ... my initial interest in them has soured a bit, now I know it’s only really the automatic powertrain that eclipses anything about VF2.
Is the next model a full new model, or a facelift?

Thing is, if you watch reviews from the US, US spec Camaro is amazing. The Alpha platform is better than VF2 (based on older Zeta). The Camaro SS 1LE with magnetic ride and a manual is MINT. The one that we're getting here is a Argentina spec (dregs) base model, no magnetic ride, no HUD, then converted to RHD.. I knew it would be a compromise but to hear it's fallen to the point where its not as nice as a VF2 is surprising.

Also, I hear you, there's a chance next gen GM cars won't be RHD, that would be super lame. To answer your question, there's no details on next gen Camaro yet.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Hmm, good point about the suspension, I’d forgotten about that; if tuned right, that could be enough to make it a better drive.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Chinese market will be the largest in the world for luxury goods soon

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
A small production/local modification is never going to match factory designed and developed RHD and with that said if I was in the market for that style of car I'd buy a mustang. But everyone seems to bang on about the price, yes as a car it is overpriced for what it is as a final product but having recently taken a tour of HSV and seeing what goes into converting one of these cars and doing all that work at Aussie labour rates you can understand why the car is the price it is.