Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Converting S pack to LPG

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
I'm looking at converting my 2002 S1 S to LPG.

I have read plenty of threads on this and have decided to go for the factory fitted IMPCO. If anyone could give me advice on anything to do with the conversion i would appreciate it.

Does anyone know a trusted fitter? Northern Brisbane/ sunny coast

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Here are things to do before the conversion.

Make sure the engine is serviced and running to it's full potential on petrol. Change the oil, ignition components (see below) and coolant (if need be).

Get new spark plugs. Cheap ones are probably the best (read on for more details). Gap them to 0.8mm (this is vitally important for best driveability and economy with mixer-based gas systems). Even though they typically last longer, iridium plugs aren't recommended as they cannot safely be re-gapped and it is easy to forget when you originally installed them (bad!!!). Replace them every 10,000-15,000km and you should rarely experience a backfire. At $2 a plug or so, standard spark plugs are definitely best value. Stick to known brands such as NGK for best results.

Get new ignition leads and make sure your ignition coil(s) are in top condition. Anything less than optimal will potentially cause a backfire. Remember, a gas engine relies on a strong ignition system.

If needed, replace the oxygen sensor(s). A properly functioning oxygen sensor can mean the difference between acceptable and unacceptable fuel consumption and performance.

Make sure the gas system is tuned every year or so (again to minimise the chances of problems). It is good practise to get a gas tune done immediately after an engine service.

Other than that, enjoy the cheap motoring. :)

Regards,
Dave

E.B.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Whats the economy like on Gas?
How would it suit a Supercharged V6?

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Whats the economy like on Gas?

For a VY with Ecotec V6, approximately 16L/100km.

How would it suit a Supercharged V6?

You would need an injected gas system for that, but otherwise it will be fine. LPG is less knock-sensitive than petrol (higher octane number) and therefore is highly suitable for boosted applications.

Regards,
Dave

Go_Slow

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series 2 VY S Pack V6 3.8Ltr
yee dont get lpg (mixer) on a super charged engine....

o and btw i remember reading somewhere you'll lose your traction control when your have a mixer system.

tj