Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant bubbles over

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
I’ve had overheating issues in my ve for a few weeks and I used a funnel and adaptor to fill my system, I had the heater on and whilst it was heating up at one point it started making a loud squeaking noise and then the funnel started filling up and started actually boiling over and going everywhere before I shut off the car, I also just put in a new radiator, what could be the cause of this?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Where did you put the funnel, and why ever would you need a funnel to put RED coolant in the car?

Silver07ve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 3.6L Omega
Where did you put the funnel, and why ever would you need a funnel to put RED coolant in the car?
In the radiator cap, I’ve done it without one and it’s done nothing

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I’ve had overheating issues in my ve for a few weeks and I used a funnel and adaptor to fill my system, I had the heater on and whilst it was heating up at one point it started making a loud squeaking noise and then the funnel started filling up and started actually boiling over and going everywhere before I shut off the car, I also just put in a new radiator, what could be the cause of this?
Putting the heater on in a VE makes no difference, the heater is always ”on” (there’s no heater tap).

Are you sure you don’t have a blown head gasket? If it’s blown the gasket from the cylinder to the water jacket then the coolant system will fill with air from the cylinder.

Easy way to check this is to just do a basic cold fill of the system and put the cap on then start the car. If the top hose pressurises relatively quickly (cant squeeze the top hose) then the system is being pressurised by combustion gases and thats probably why you had to replace the radiator in the first place.

Of course if you do this don’t take off the radiator cap until the system is cold again lest you cop a face full of hot coolant.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yep, the coolant will go up and down in the funnel a fair bit. Especially just before the thermostat opens. Then all the air comes out quite aggressively sometimes and suddenly coolant level in the funnel drops. air goes out and coolant floods in.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
You using one like this?
shopping.jpeg.jpg

Very handy bit of kit for bleeding coolant systems, a few different styles from rubber plugs to twist on caps, you can get them from around $20 for a no name to lots of dollars for a brand name

They work great at stopping it spewing coolant when bleeding