Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Overheating with ticketing sound while idling.

GC287011

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS commodore
Hey guys. My MY9.5 SS commodore has been having issues with overheating recently. Discovered it was a leak in my bottom coolant hose which is now fixed. There’s also a very small leak in my coolant hose connected to the AC which bleeds into my passenger footwell, but it’s very minor. Been a month and it started to overheat again. Oil is fine, coolant is topped up (also added some into the radiator). I did notice there a ticking sound coming from the engine while it’s idling. From what I’ve read it’s probably the water pump? Sometimes the bearings wear and make that sound. I’ve also noticed my car is fogging up and the AC isn’t clearing it out, been raining up here in Brisbane a fair bit recently so not sure if that’s linked. The heating and cool air sometimes won’t even work, it will just blow out room temperature air even after letting it run for 10+ minutes. Thermostat sensor was also replaced a couple months ago. Let me know if you need me to elaborate on anything. Cheers!

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You should replace what’s needed ASAP.
Hope your coolant is red.

GC287011

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS commodore
You should replace what’s needed ASAP.
Hope your coolant is red.
Yeah going to mechanics first thing tomorrow morning. last time I was at the mechanics, they drained it and added red coolant so I made sure to use red coolant when I toppled it up.

GC287011

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SS commodore
Found out the issue. heater core is leaking. The hot water was fogging up my car. This will allow airlocks and overheating. Ended up joining the heater hoses together and bypassing the core. The LS ticking is generally lifters.