Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Coolant drain plug

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
pretty sure that works not too sure lol

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
i drained and refilled mine twice :D we'll first time was to drain the coolant and bleed the system up, then 2 weeks later when on holiday went for a day trip to bendigo and the water pump decided to leak, drove back to where staying, topped it up drove home a couple of days later topping it up on the way (only lost about 2 liters) then holden replaced the water pump and used new coolant again so it got a good flush :D also where is the plug on the block,heard a few people mention this, would be handy to know, as that was how we drained the cooling system on the 4 liter land rover discovery srz2 v8's, there's was on the left hand side of the block just below the left hand side extractors(about halfway along) and made it alot easier to drain the system completely. it was a square plug but 11mm socket with short extension and 3/8 ratchet fitted perfectly on to it.

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
i dunno were it is but i really wana know

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh if you find out, let us know, thanks.

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
From the net not sure on the accuracy tho, but might help
The left drain is hidden behind the engine mount bracket and the right drain is behind the starter.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
it was a square plug but 11mm socket with short extension and 3/8 ratchet fitted perfectly on to it.

Perhaps someone can confirm this for me, but both the v8 and v6 being american derived motors have imperial bolts etc?
Do we need imperial or metric spanners?

11mm and 7/16 in are within 0.004in of each other.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
either would be ok, whichever fits best, not sure if there that size as that was for the landrover discovery srz2 and rangerover v8's from 1999-2004/05 (4 liter v8).

i'm not sure if they were american derived v8's, i know the 3.9 v8s before 1999 were buick v8's so may be simmilar.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
either would be ok, whichever fits best, not sure if there that size as that was for the landrover discovery srz2 and rangerover v8's from 1999-2004/05 (4 liter v8).

i'm not sure if they were american derived v8's, i know the 3.9 v8s before 1999 were buick v8's so may be simmilar.

I was seeking to clarify whether one needs a set of imperial spanners/sockets or metric for these motors, not just for the coolant drain plug.