Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant flush???

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
Hey guys just a quick one, I was bleeding the coolant system, the engine was on with a funnel in the radiator however the thermo fans didn't turn on. The coolant got hot enough to expand and start leaking out though. Any ideas?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
V6 or v8? If it's a v6 did you open the bleed screw on the thermostat housing as well?

vxs93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX s-pac manual
its a v6, yes i opened the bleed screw. i topped up as much coolant as i could and i filled the reservoir a bit past the recommended level. do the thermo fans need to come on to ensure you have max coolant and no air?

thanks for the quick reply

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 98 SS 195i 5.0L 304 HSV ENHANCED
its a v6, yes i opened the bleed screw. i topped up as much coolant as i could and i filled the reservoir a bit past the recommended level. do the thermo fans need to come on to ensure you have max coolant and no air?

thanks for the quick reply

They'll jump in around 93 deg or there abouts or when the temp needle is just under half

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
Make sure when you bleed the system that you have the heater on the ac turned to max

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Hey guys just a quick one, I was bleeding the coolant system, the engine was on with a funnel in the radiator however the thermo fans didn't turn on. The coolant got hot enough to expand and start leaking out though. Any ideas?

You need to seal the funnel to the neck of the radiator and fill with coolant so you have a "head" above the bleed point as the bleed point is otherwise higher than the top of the radiator so you won't bet al the air out otherwise. I use a plastic bottle with the bottom cut off, tape the thread so it seals into the top of the radiator.