Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant issue with mates car

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Hi guys, Yesterday at footy training my mate asked me if i could look at his car. He said that it was running a bit hot so he checked the coolant level and there was none in the resevoir so he filled it up(half with coolant half with water cause he ran out of coolant). Anyway he told me that he drove it about 15km to training and back and he checked the level and the resevoir was empty. I checked his oil and there was no sign that water could be leaking in there and i went over the lines roughly and it didn't look like there were any crack or leaks. He has a stock VR, he only asked me cause compared to him i know heaps about cars lol.

Does anyone know what could be causing the coolant to go so quick?

Any help would be great. Cheers!

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
Check the OIL, Hopefully it's not bubbly and thick!
Fill it up, run it for a minute, Look for leaks, Specifically, check above the harmonic balancer (the big pulley at the bottom), if the water pump is leaking you will notice it there!
Check hoses and the around the radiator.
Also, check above the radiator cap (on the bonnet) - is it wet? Might need a new cap.

Good luck.

KhaosInc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V8 M5
check between the heads and intake as the intake gasket craps itself and it can leak into the intake or sit where the intake/heads join together... mines crapped itself on the drivers side.

ive read somewhere if you need to change it you will need to change the oil too cause some coolant will leak into the valley when the intake manifold is off....

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
check your water pump mate i had this problem not long ago water pump is about a $140 fix not sure about vs im assuming it would be the same as my vr the water pump is directly above the harmonic balancer theres about a 6mm hole underneath the pulley and f the seals shaged it pisses out tell your mate NOT to drive it untill your sure its not the water pump you can seriusly **** **** if ur engine over heats

bread

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i agree had same problem, water pump, easy way to check, just sit a piece of paper under the pulley's roughly, after a while if theres coolant or a big wet patch there, theres a good chance you've got a hole in the pump. hope its that, there easy to fix, just need a new one.

-=ApheX=-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8l Exec
if there is coolant in the res then this is normal operation, basically as the pressure builds in your radiator the density if the water changes causing it to purge into the res, this has an opposite effect if yor radiator is running low the back pressure cause the water from the res to flow into the radiator... now if there's flowing problems i would look at the thermostat needing to be replaced, or the water pump... these are both quite easily fixed...

NSTG8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo R8 + VX Berlina 5.7
could also be a stuffed radiator......mine was "drinking" coolant for a few weeks, then one day i had the bonnet open while the motor was at operating temp and found steam coming from the radiator. turns out that the radiator core had sprung a leak as there was coolant staining along one of the tubes about halfway down the radiator

might also pay to check the heater tap, common fault for this model!