Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant issues

Wire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 94
Coolant keeps turning into a orangy rustic colour, Is my water pump corroding? or sumthing else, i have flushed radiater and block many a times but it doesnt seem to have any effect. any ideas?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Perhaps try reverse flushing the radiator, and also removing the thermostat, and lower radiator hose, and then push the end of the hose into the thermostat housing, and use a fair bit of water pressure, and stop flushing when all the brown water stops flowing from the lower radiator hose.

When the water stops flowing from the lower hose, join the lower hose back up. I would recommend using the genuine Holden coolant, and also to assist in maintaining the proper 50/50 concentration mix of coolant and water.

I pour the whole 5 litre bottle of concentrate into the radiator, and then top up thru the thermostat housing and radiator cap opening with water. Then put the thermostat back together, and rejoin the top radiator hose. Flush out the coolant reservoir bottle, and then tip another 500mL of concentrate and 500mL of water in there.

The cooling system in the ecotec supposedly holds 12 litres, so by doing the above method you will end up with the correct mix of 50% coolant and water, which should end up minimising corrosion, and also stop the discolouration that you are experiencing.

If you need any more info, just send us a PM.

Cheers

Harvs82

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Make sure you also flush water thru the heater as this can hold quite a bit of rusty sludge.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
Make sure you also flush water thru the heater as this can hold quite a bit of rusty sludge.

Thanks for reminding me of that, make sure your heater controls are set to full heat...

Wire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 94
Cheers for that im about to go do it so il let u know how it turns out.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
could someone direct me to a link where there is a coolant flush how to or something. I would like to do it but do it properly

Have a look in the how to section on the site. Alternately have a look at the second post in this thread that I made... if anything isn't clear just give us a yell.