Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coolant leak, new pump is in order?

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
i was looking into about there being 2

is the what is the difference? is it engine wise? (eg different for l76?)

my VIN states: 6H8VSK19H HTL######

super cheap parts guide suggests this pump for it as it says its for VS 6H8VS#19H
Water Pump - PWP4000A - Supercheap Auto

should i go out and possible by new screws if they are badly rusted? so i don't snap them when tightening them up.
pretty sure they sell them at super cheap or i might have to go to Holden

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It's different for the V6 - series 1 VS have a different pump from series 2 VS although they now make aftermarket pumps with a shim that goes over the pulley for series 2. Check with SuperCheap that the pump you mention is the multifit model - if you enlarge the pix in your link, it appears to have a shim on the nose...plus 4 bolts which you usually don't get. However, the pix may just be for display purposes.
Re new bolts - if they unscrew OK, they will be OK to use again unless they are badly rusted. I personally would not replace them unless badly rusted...but then I don't like parting with $$$$!
See this link for a good explanation of what a multifit pump looks like:NEW V6 HOLDEN VR VP VS VT VX VY COMMODORE WATER PUMP - eBay V8 Engines, Engines, Components, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Jun-10 20:13:37 AEST)

Also check this link which shows the series 2 VS pump (not multifit and number 4001 - not 4000) and also gives engine numbers - not VIN.:
HOLDEN COMMODORE VS SERII, VT, VX WATER PUMP - eBay Other, Cooling Systems, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 06-Jul-10 10:58:22 AEST)

Last edited:

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
so the shim is a spacer that goes on top of the wheel where the bolts attach?

my rego says the engine number is well past VH515479 (second ebay link), starts off with VH56 which means it needs a serise 2 pump even tho the car is series 1 :unsure:

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the compliance plate on the bulkhead/firewall - it will show build date - if it's after 06/96 then it's a series 2. What makes you think it's series 1?....don't believe the rego papers either - the only real check is to read the number from the engine block.
However, it really doesn't matter if you buy a 'multi-fit' pump. Good Luck.

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
i know its series 1 because i know the build date is march 96 (i did check it before)

might go to repco/independent car store to see if they have multi fit ones. (i don't buy stuff off the net unless i can walk to the sellers shop if something happens)

i'll go engine number hunting when i have time, i believe its between idler pulley and air conditioner unit?

Last edited:

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
i got the number off the block and starts VH56

which means I'll have to get the serise 2/VT/VX pump (WP4001) since the engine number is above VH515479.
so it looks like they started fitting these pumps in or before March '96 (folks bought the car new and no engine swaps)

i believe the difference is about 2mm? can someone confirm this

P.S don't know if this helps but the belt pulley cover is one piece which covers the water pump cone, where in Morton's guide he has an "O" shaped belt pulley cover

Last edited:

VRcommondoor

Reaction score
Members Ride
Stock VR 3.8V6 (Petrol/Gas)
Hi all... just to throw my 2c worth in... I just had a series of cooling system leaks on my V6 VR. Each time I would fix one leak, another would appear (using water in the meantime didn't help either, seemed to aggravate it if anything - where possible, dont). I found that all the bits were getting old and when full pressure was restored to the system the next weakest link will be the next to go. In order went - heater tap, bypass bung, water pump seal.

The bypass bung and water pump seal leaks were tricky to find, as they dribble down seemingly from an invisible hose or from behind the water pump pulley.

The bung is just a little plug piece that fits into the block. The original is plastic and often crumbles when you try getting it out. If this happens remove the thermostat housing and thermostat and stick a hose in there to flush it. Peps has replacements but only plastic ones. Bursons on the other hand have brass ones so goodbye problem forever.

If the water pump seal is stuffed it will leak from 2 small holes on the water pump itself just behind the pulley.