Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Level VZ Alloytec V6

Neal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Adventra Lx6
I have a VZ Adventra Lx6 that whenever the coolant fill cap is removed when cold, the level is always below the neck and takes 200mL - 300mL to refill to the brim. The level on the overflow tank dipstick is if anything a little high.

The engine runs perfectly and temp is rarely above ~25% on the gauge, and I've recently had the heater tap replaced, together with the water pump and thermostat while the transmission was out.

Pressure test OK.

I'm wondering if the coolant level at the screw on/off fill cap is supposed to be about 40mm below the brim?

Edit: I'm looking for a new cap, but retailers such as Supercheap specify one with 140 kPa, where the one currently on the Adventra is 125 kPa.
Which is correct ??

Any advice or ideas very welcome

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you need a new genuine cap
maybe if badly coroded a new filler neck as well

Neal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Adventra Lx6
Thank you ...... the filler neck is fine, and while looking for a new Cap most at outlets such a Supercheap specify 140 kPa, but the one on the Advebtra is 125 kPa ??

Can somebody advise which is correct?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You have to bleed the cooling system of ALL air once the cap is opened.

Always check and fill from the reservoir. The system is under vacuum (cold or hot) and air should be kept out.
It is possible that some of the coolant is draining into the reservoir when you open the cap and let air in.

See this link for details on VZ cooling system maintenance and correct bleeding methods.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-ve-vf-alloytec-cooling-system-repairs.279976/

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
holden changed the pressure rating
but as i said aftermarket caps do not seal properly
you need genuine from holden

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
All Alloytec motors should be using 140kPa caps.
If you still have a cap with 120/125 on it, it will be old as, or aftermarket.

As @lout has posted, and I am as well to affirm the point, get genuine Holden from Holden when it comes to the caps.

The Whale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
You have to bleed the cooling system of ALL air once the cap is opened.

Always check and fill from the reservoir. The system is under vacuum (cold or hot) and air should be kept out.
It is possible that some of the coolant is draining into the reservoir when you open the cap and let air in.

See this link for details on VZ cooling system maintenance and correct bleeding methods.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-ve-vf-alloytec-cooling-system-repairs.279976/

The Whale

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
Thank you, but that link about bleeding the system refers to pink coolant, but mines always been GREEN.
Right or not?

I'll get a 140kPa cap from Holden

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Thank you, but that link about bleeding the system refers to pink coolant, but mines always been GREEN.
As you say on your profile you drive a VS why are you asking in the VZ section VZ uses pink coolant VS green

Neal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Adventra Lx6
As you say on your profile you drive a VS why are you asking in the VZ section VZ uses pink coolant VS green
Apologies......I haven't used this Forum for ages, and so haven't updated my Profile to show that I now have a 2006 VZ Adventra Lx6, that had GREEN coolant when I purchased it, and still has! Does the colour really matter?