Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Level VZ Alloytec V6

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
This what I found on the forum years ago, posted by ????? which was taken from some tech publication.

Radiator coolant.
There are four types and they are all (supposedly) incompatible with each other.
IAT - Inorganic OAT – Organic HOAT - Hybrid Organic PHOAT - Phosphate Hybrid Organic
IAT creates a barrier to protect from corrosion. OAT uses a chemical reaction instead, so it's less compatible but better with Alloy.
The colours as a rule of thumb were green for older cast engines (IAT type), red for alloy (OAT type) but without any defined standards the colours can be confusing and are up to the manufacturer.
Type A or B just refers to whether it has glycol or not, Type A being a true glycol AF/AB, Type B being some water with rust inhibitor, but they can be mixed if the same spec.

Could be useful in the colour confusion issue.

For the filler neck and cap issues, even Holden service could not get it right after 3 attempts and my many $$$$ later, when I had the Cross6 serviced just after I bought it.

Neal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Adventra Lx6
This what I found on the forum years ago, posted by ????? which was taken from some tech publication.

Radiator coolant.
There are four types and they are all (supposedly) incompatible with each other.
IAT - Inorganic OAT – Organic HOAT - Hybrid Organic PHOAT - Phosphate Hybrid Organic
IAT creates a barrier to protect from corrosion. OAT uses a chemical reaction instead, so it's less compatible but better with Alloy.
The colours as a rule of thumb were green for older cast engines (IAT type), red for alloy (OAT type) but without any defined standards the colours can be confusing and are up to the manufacturer.
Type A or B just refers to whether it has glycol or not, Type A being a true glycol AF/AB, Type B being some water with rust inhibitor, but they can be mixed if the same spec.

Could be useful in the colour confusion issue.

For the filler neck and cap issues, even Holden service could not get it right after 3 attempts and my many $$$$ later, when I had the Cross6 serviced just after I bought it.
Thanks for that, but as on first reading I'm not sure that it addresses MY confusion, I think I'll read it again .

Seriously, I think that at this stage I'll stick with the green stuff that's in the system, bleed it and top-up, and replace the cap with a 140kPa one from GMH.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Holden/GM 6277M is specified as OAT
The Nulon Type A Red is OAT (pictured previously)
Dex-Cool is OAT
Penrite Red OEM Coolant is OAT
The above all meet GM 6277M standard.

Green is generally a hybrid OAT (HOAT) Ethylene Glycol.

There are others that are green as well, that are incompatible with Alloy.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
No........I haven't found Facebook to be particularly useful, and while not wishing to generalise, I've read quite a few comments on vehicle-related Groups from unnecessarily argumentative people, who mostly talk about tires, breaks, and duel exhausts (at 20 paces) . No doubt the Adventra Group would be different!
Yes, they are VERY different,

Don’t wasn’t your time,
as they have a lot of EXPERTS that know a lot about F-all.

Neal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Adventra Lx6
JUST TO CLOSE THE LOOP......after purchasing the correct (140kPa) cap from Castle Hill Holden, who I wish still sold GMH products , and again pressure testing for no leaks, I went for a 50kM return run down the M7.
Temp didn't get above 1/4, and after letting things cool down upon my return, the cooling system was full to the brim below the cap .
I don't know if it's a crook cap or the 15kPa increase in cap pressure of the genuine replacement that fixed the problem, but all's well even with green coolant, that I will change to pink at the next Service.
Many thanks to all those who responded .

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
When you change the coolant over, because you can’t remove the thermostat, you will need to flush it out from as many places as possible.

Do a few fills with demineralised water to dilute it down until it mostly comes out clear.

Maybe use a wet and dry vacuum like the cheap Ryobi shop vacs to pull out any remaining fluid from each side of the thermostat.

Holden changed to red for a reason, best to stick with it.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Adventra Lx6
That's a lot of buggerising around, which is why I was initially inclined to leave the coolant in place, particularly as according to the original owner and the mob who's serviced it since 2009, it's always had green (?).
According to the Holden spares guy, the colour is six-of-one and half-a-dozen of the other, but I'll get it swapped-over nonetheless.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Do you have a part number for this and would it fit a 2005 VZ Wagon Le0
Holden service replaced mine in 2013 with the wrong cap which they invoiced as GM92067202.
In their wisdom and generosity, they did not charge for, or quote the correct replacement cap, in the follow-up work.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
this is the cap i brought from ebay last year genuine holden only difference to the later models necks is where the thread is located inside or out as in this cap
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124232553707
and here is the cap to fit the later necks vzs2 ve vf 140kpa

Last edited: