Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant sensor - no coolant.

Colloin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
If there's no coolant in the engine, what does the sensor read? Is there a warning that goes off when coolant is low?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No low coolant sensor. Assuming that there is coolant in the engine it would be reading the temp of the steam :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Air doesn't work very well for conducting heat, better as an insulator, whatever it's reading is going to be wrong.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The thing is though, if you have a coolant leak the water pump is going to keep pushing coolant through the engine until there isn't enough coolant left in the system (primarily the radiator), until that time you will most likely not notice any major change in coolant temperature and you won't get air in the engine until that coolant level drops severely at which point the engine will suddenly overheat with what seems like very little warning.

Colloin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
The thing is though, if you have a coolant leak the water pump is going to keep pushing coolant through the engine until there isn't enough coolant left in the system (primarily the radiator), until that time you will most likely not notice any major change in coolant temperature and you won't get air in the engine until that coolant level drops severely at which point the engine will suddenly overheat with what seems like very little warning.

I lost about 5-6 litres via a radiator leak. The temp gauge stayed where it always had been, maybe a little higher at the lights. The car runs just as it did. Have I damaged the heads with 5 litres in the system only - or would the water pump still push that 5 litres around the heads?

A water level sensor would have been pretty useful...

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
If its not and hasnt been overheating, the oil isnt milky and the cars not running rough, or blowing white smoke then your heads are probably fine

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
As above, if it's running as before then consider yourself lucky :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If there's no coolant in the engine, what does the sensor read? Is there a warning that goes off when coolant is low?

There is a low coolant warning but only on models with the LSx V8 engines.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
It will still go to the red eventually, i lost all my coolant in my vr, did not notice due to the lower hose split. thankfully the guage went into the red and alarm sounded. Mind you it was ####ing hot ! Thankfully did not crack the heads or anything.