Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Correct wiring for, 4 channel amp only running front splits?

Redbull40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec
Hi guys, I'm upgrading my stock front speakers and putting an amp in my VY Wagon.
I am not upgrading the stock rears, and I dont intend on running a sub atm, but could be tempted to at a later date ( I use the cargo area for work)

I have my amp - Rockford Fosgate T600-4 Channel Amplifier
and my speakers - JBL MS-62C 6.5" Audiophile Grade Component Speakers on the way.
The H/U I have is- Kenwood DPX-U6120 Double DIN Receiver, which has 2 sets of rca outputs - front and rear/Sub woofer

I plan on running the splits from the amp, the rears from the H/U and leaving the spare 2 channels on the amp free to bridge to a sub later on.

My question is: What is the correct way to wire this up for now? (only using 2 channels from the amp) I want to be able to still fade the stock rears.

1- Do i connect both sets of rca's from the H/U to the amp, leave the 2/4 channel switch in the 4 position, connect the front speakers to the front speaker outputs on the amp, leave the rears running off the H/U.

2- Connect only the front outputs from the H/U to the front inputs on the amp with the switch in the 4 position , connect the front speakers to the front speaker outputs on the amp,and leave the rears running off the H/U.

or

3- Connect only the front outputs from the H/U to the front inputs on the amp with the switch in the 2 position , connect the front speakers to the front speaker outputs on the amp,and leave the rears running off the H/U.

any suggestions appreciated

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Go with option 2, but with a little of 1: run 2 sets of rca's now so U don't have to do it again later, its smarter. Label them so U know which rca's are front and rear, only connect the front to the amp. Leave the switch on the amp to 4.

I haven't checked the amp details, but I would guess the switch is for bridging, which turns the amp from a 4 channel to a 2 channel.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
lol...option 2 with a little bit of option 1 is.... Option1.

Yeah mate, run both pairs now to save yourself the hassle of doing it again later. Leave the switch in 4 channel mode (this relates to running it as a 4channel but only using one input) and hook up the fronts. But personally, I'd whack the rears onto the amp as well. Just run a couple of pairs of speaker wire up to the headunit at the same time and hook in to the rear speakers from there. Be a massive improvement over just amping the fronts. Not as good as amping all four and having replacement speakers in all four doors but still an improvement until you get your sub.

Redbull40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec
Thanks for the response ephect
thats sounds like the best way to go.
the switch when set to the 2 position (i believe ) is to allow you to run one set of rca's into the amps front channel, but still use it as a 4 channel amp. ie going from a H/U that only has 1 set of outputs
I just wasnt sure whether it was better, to not run the second set of rca's from the H/U while using the H/U to run the rear speakers
So if that isnt a problem then having the extra rca's already connected to the H/U and run up to, but not into the amp would save me work later on.
Thanks mate :)

Redbull40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec
Thanks Tasmaniak, lol you must have posted while i was typing a reply to ephect.
That does sound like a great option, I didnt list that as one of my choices, as I was unsure whether it was worth amping the stock rears.
But if that will be an improvement it would be silly to have 2 spare channels going to waste while waiting on a sub :)

So as long as i fade the rears out correctly I shouldnt have any issues blowing them?

Or are you trying to do me a sneaky favor, and when they get blown I will have to put decent ones in? haha :idea:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Well... sneaky favour but truth be told, careful setup of the xovers will see them cranking far louder than before for years to come.

Redbull40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec
Thanks again mate,
Amp, Speakers, Wiring kit and Dynamat will hopefully arrive by the weekend, and amping all 4 speakers is the way I will go.
I'm thinking I might as well save up some extra cash and get some decent coaxials for the rear doors.
I will be running new wire to the splits in the front
Should I go to the effort of running new speaker wire to the rear doors, if new rear speakers are on the horizon? Or is the stock wiring fine?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Redbull sounds like a plan, keep us posted on how U go.

Tasmanian, it was late lol

Redbull40

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec
Cheers guys, thanks for the helpful info.
yep will post on how it all goes.
You also helped nudge me towards upgrading the rears as well.
Any suggestions on what which coaxials would best suit the rest of the gear I have?

H/U - Kenwood DPX-U6120 Double DIN Receiver

Amp - Rockford Fosgate T600-4 Channel Amplifier RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 100 watts x 4 Ch
2 ohms: 150 watts x 4 Ch
Bridged at 4 ohms: 300 watts x 2 Ch (2-ohm stable in bridged mode)

Front Splits - JBL MS-62C 6.5" Audiophile Grade Component Speakers Power Handling:
Peak: 160 watts
RMS: 80 watts
ps. I know the golden rule of "let your ears doing the buying" but I am stuck in the country and have no viable access to a car audio shop
so any suggestions gratefully appreciated

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
Probably a set of JBL from the same series would be my first pick.