Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

corvette servo

VZHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
z
i have got vt auto with a transgo stage 2 shift kit would it make it go harder is i got a corvette servo put in and wat price r they

go harder no.. shift harder definently
i got a corvette servo when i just rebuilt my auto followed by stage 2 shift kit etc. there no expensive at all there around 50 bucks on ebay

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
Hey guys. Im in the process of buying the shift kit, servos and valve body seperator plate for my 4L60E. The thing im hung up on is whether to get the Corvette servo or both of the Billet servos. The Corvette one has 50% more apply pressure than standard but the Billet has another 35% more than the Corvette. Has anyone used the Billet type before? Is their any pros or cons about either ie: is the Billet too harsh a change for road use. Billet has servos for both 2nd and 4th. I was in 2 minds whether to get both Billets, kit and plate or just go the Corvette only plus kit and plate. Any feedback either way will be appreciated thanks.

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
Banks, a shift kit is like making your auto into a semi-manual. You can change up or down gears at near any rev without much problem plus theres bigger valves that go into the valve body to increase fluid pressure and such. As i understand it. Combined with a servo it makes changes faster and crisper with minimal slippage. Dont overlook the valve body seperator plate. The standard ones wear badly apparently and may need replacing as well.

commycrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Ute
Hey, quick question, so if I just put the Corvette Servo in, it would make the shifts harder, but whats all that problem about having it selecting 2 gears? Also can I still drive it in D or do i have to go 1-2-3?

Thanks for ur help!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The servo doesn't change anything apart from making the shift from 1st to second harder and faster. Which is mostly what you need. Everything else about the gearbox stays the same

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
and you guys all forget to have a strong auto and be a true stage 2 you will need to upgrade your clutches, bands and shell.

Just changing valve body and servos will wear your stock clutches and bands in no time at all. the killer for any box is heat, this is generated by slip. Stock clutches will not last long after changing yur valve body and servo's. Yes it will feel stronger and chirp gears but dont forget when you upgrade one part then the next part becomes the weak link.

Last edited:

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Unfortunately because in planetary geartrains, like those that are used in auto trans., the element from the previous gear not required in the next gear has to disengage before the new element is selected. Just applying one element faster without also disengaging faster may cause two gears to be selected at once, even if only for a very short time. The result is components slipping. If other changes (in addition to the servo) are made at the same time, it can be OK.
I always understood that in TH350 and TH400 trannies, so presumably TH700 too, there was a series of overrunning sprags so that when the next gear came in it simply revolved the mechanism faster and the outgoing lower gear just gets left behind with no need to disengage it immediately. Just like if you are pushing a Ford and someone runs up from behind twice as fast as you are going and pushes the car faster so it moves away from your hands. There is no need to do a precision changeover like you do in say a Trimatic tranny. Someone put me straight if I am so totally wrong.

Edit -> Here you go -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprag_clutch#Automatic_transmissions

Last edited: