Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cost involved in Machining out VE Rims to suit Pre VE

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
You can get it done for about $20 per wheel. No idea what actually is needed but i wouldnt be going near a dremel.

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
BAGGED 04 VY SS S2 HBD MANUAL UTE
it is just a approx 4mm wide lip around the inner of the wheel where the hub sits that needs to be ground / filed back flush with the rest of the hub, easy job, it can also be done using a file but this involves allot more work but still only about 20 min per wheel

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
thats not as bad or dangerous as i thought it would have been...

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
so if the hub is smaller on the VEs wouldnt that mean pre ve would bolt straight up? even though there would be a small space ring, would the tensile strength of the bolts and studs be enough to hold the wheel correctly?

keeny

keeny
Reaction score
Members Ride
BAGGED 04 VY SS S2 HBD MANUAL UTE
yes exactly, infact most larger rims have a bore size to suit pre ve and tyre shops will fit a spacer ring to the hub when fitting these wheels to a ve, in my opinion the spacer rings are a wank too, the pressure is on the flat surface on the front of the hub, with the wheel nuts torqued up correctly there is no need for the spacer ring, it is only there to help centre the wheel, but the tapered wheel nuts do this anyway

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The wheel load should be taken by the hub, not the studs..................

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Exactly what lmoengnr says the wheel studs are only meant to be in tension they are not designed to take the load of the car, the rims are designed to sit over the hub and this needs to be an accurate machined fit that can't be done properly with a hand tool.