Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cough, splutter and stall on LPG HELP!! ;-(

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
I run at least the first and last K of the day on petrol, it's the only way to keep the seals in good nick really. This is my 4th gas car, i'm familiar with the perils of using fuel that's -30C.

I have taken it to proper gas places but as far as i could gather the only thing they do to gas convertors is replace the diaphrams in them (which they did) or replace the whole thing(which i can't afford to do presently)

My car on gas goes about the same as a VL 6 cyl in nice condition with an exhaust... basically not quite as quick as a VN V6. It tows on gas a lot nicer than a 6-cyl though.

My car's A LOT quicker on petrol than gas, on petrol i'm dead even with my mate's VR SS. I could make my last car (the VH) run better on gas than on petrol by advancing the timing to about 14 degrees, but that made the petrol run crap. When I want power I use the good stuff, petrol. When I just want to drive cheap I just use the barbeque juice.

I used carby cleaner and start ya bastard because they're both volatile, and evaporate at the hot temperatures that the gas converter gets to, thus it evaporates, get's burnt with the gas, and there's no residue.

The vas i just tried to go easy on, but point taken... The convertors stuffed, and i'm trying to fix it by filling it with ****. Maybe i am asking for trouble?

Oh well, I've got a spare $65 and a couple of free hours, perhaps the second hand convertor is the go?

Cheers for the help guys (and girls)

timmyscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN wagon manual 3.8, 86 VK sedan 3.3
hey mate, i had the exact some problem. i thought my convertor was screwd, but it end up being a hole in the fabric (sorder blow off valve) behind the lpg air flow jigger on the intake. meaning air getting sucked in behind it and confussing the readings causing it to splatter and stall when it felt like it. just covered it up and ive never looked back.

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
that sounds promising mate. I'm not quite sure where the thing is your talking about. Could you be a little more specific, perhaps throw in a pic?

thanks heaps man

timmyscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
here ya go mate, pic and its circled where i had the hole. From what i figured, the air was getting sucked in behind the air flow metre, meaning that it was confussing the whole gas system (sorry im not mechanically minded to explain the theory behind it) . Just start her up and have a feel for any suction from any holes. i was suprised something so little caused the problem in mine. not to say this is ya problem, but its a posibility.
cheers timbo

Attachments

• car5.JPG
    car5.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 333

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
thanks heaps for that mate!

I'm a little disoriented from the pic, since mine is an 8, but by bro's got a 6 so when i can figure out what's where i'll check it out. I might wait until next time is does it, then rev it, make it chug, and see if there are any vacume leaks i can feel.

Thanks again!

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Without jumping on the bandwagon i'd say a vaccume leak too. Best way to check for vaccume leaks is to carefully spray start ya bastard/or aerostart around suss spots while idling (avoiding exhaust of course), if there is a leak the engine will gain revs. Do you have valvesaver fitted? Last car we had with gas would run crap everytime the valvesaver got empty. (runs off vaccume so it created a vaccume leak)

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
No, don't have anything like that...

Could a vacume leak make the car run fine for a couple of days, then make it play up for 5 minutes, then be fine for another day again? The way it plays up, then starts working fine again a second later is really wierd.

Wouldn't a vacume leak cause the problem constantly?

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Probibly yeah, stranger things have happened tho!

timmyscommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
youp mine did that, it would be fine then all of a sudden splatter and die on its ass

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
nedd a CT scan

hi, I got the VN V6 too and recently am experiencing stalling several times. it runs on LPG. bought the car three months. first it runs good and I felt it very powerful up a hile. But after a stupid cowboy in hilesdale flushed my cooling system and changed drive belt I found it lost the power and the machine shake all the time. chnaged to an holden original drive belt but still the same.

before I could get 250 km with a full tank (62L) without the aircon. after they flushed it I can go 200 no more. 62 liters for 200 km is too much. have Ultra tune checked and said no problem with teh engine. got a gas man put on the computer and adjusted the gas converter but still the same and still stalls on me some times. got another gasman which NRMA recommended looked the car, did not put it on the computer and said the gas converter is scewed too much, adjust for you should be fine 27 bucks thanks.

I am kind of having a medical background. the mechanics are like the bloody physicians. they guess the disease all the time. thier cliche is " there are several possibilities ". My car is old like an aged patient. I do not mind spending some money but it should get a definite answer. how about spending 300 for the gas converter and the problem is still there. should we got a CT scan to make the right diagnosis?