Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Could this happen in 9 months???

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
Hey all,

9 months ago I had a full suspension rebuild done on the wife's VP which is her daily drive to and from work on good sealed roads. In total the car has travelled around 18,000 km since then.

Had a look under the front end for the frst time since the rebuild and this is what the ball joints look like now.

Any suspension gurus out there willing to comment as to whether this could happen in 9 months?

Thanks.

Chuff

Attachments

• right.jpg
    right.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMGP1777.JPG
    IMGP1777.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMGP1778.JPG
    IMGP1778.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 153
  • left.JPG
    left.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 141

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
cheap rubber gone brittle.

It happens eventually on all ball joint covers, but in your case the rubber was crap so it degraded quickly.

Thats what i reckon

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Off topic, but did anyone else read the title and think someone has just had an unplanned baby?

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
cheap rubber gone brittle.

It happens eventually on all ball joint covers, but in your case the rubber was crap so it degraded quickly.

Thats what i reckon

Eventually yes, but 9 months?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
looks a bit dodgy if u ask me! i had a full suspen rebuild on my vs and even when i sold it 5yrs after rebuild they didnt look like that!

Chuff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
looks a bit dodgy if u ask me! i had a full suspen rebuild on my vs and even when i sold it 5yrs after rebuild they didnt look like that!

Well I originally had the ball joints replaced when I first bought the car 5 years ago, and I'd be inclined to think they're the same ball joints.

I was initially prompted by a clunking noise that appeared in the front end, and that's when I found them as you see them. I have since taken the car back to the suspension shop that did the work and without disclosing my discovery I explained the clunking noise and left it in their hands for a good 40 minutes while they check everything out and all they faulted was a slightly loose wheel bearing. They were addament that the ball joints were changed and the ones in my car are 9 month old genuine TRW ball joints.

Short of admitting what I'd like to think was an simple oversight on their part, as it was a full suspension rebuild, what recourse do I have?

Chuff

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I put NEW tie rod ends in my VS. In less than a year the rubber was cracked and they looked shabby. So... yes, as i said they can 'look' worn prematurely.

Easy way to tell if your ball joints are actually shot already internally... jack one front wheel off the ground and put a axle stand under it. Get a mate to sit facing the wheel, grab the wheel and see if there is any unusual clunks or play. Meanwhile watch the ball joint to see if it is shifting